New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Slow Mac Mini 5,1

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

meandmyapple

meandmyapple is on a distinguished road

I bought a used Mac Mini 5,1 that has a Seagate 5400RPM 320GB disk with Core i5 2.3Ghz and 4GB RAM running Lion.

The issue is the system lags pretty badly. If I click on couple of applications one after other, the spinning top appears and stays for a few seconds.

Now, I am ready to swap the 5400RPM disk for a newer 7200RPM or even a SSD. But before I do that is there anything else I can test to make sure the HDD is the bottleneck. The reason I am not so sure about HDD being the bottleneck is because I have an older Mac Mini that shipped with Intel Core Duo and it originally had a 5400RPM disk too. But even with SL, it never lagged the way the new Mac Mini does.

Any ideas? Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Firstly...the HD could be going bad...but first you could try:

- Repairing Permissions
- tell us how full the HD is (how much free space vs. total space)
- how many programs do you usually have open at the same time

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
meandmyapple

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Firstly...the HD could be going bad
Yes, I hear the HDD making noises while spinning that sound too loud and it's not regular HDD noise. Sort of a high pitched noise that typically comes from a SMPS.

Quote:
- Repairing Permissions
Done. Didn't help.

Quote:
- tell us how full the HD is (how much free space vs. total space)
Only have the OS installed so far so pretty much all of it is empty.

Quote:
- how many programs do you usually have open at the same time
None. I see the spinning top even just opening different widgets in System Preferences.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by meandmyapple View Post
Yes, I hear the HDD making noises while spinning that sound too loud and it's not regular HDD noise. Sort of a high pitched noise that typically comes from a SMPS.
Gotta rely on your judgement here (since I and others cannot hear it). Different HD's can make slightly different noises (when operating properly). But if the HD sounds you hear don't seem "normal"...then the HD could be the problem.

Everything you described...does seem to point to the HD as the problem.

You gotta get another HD to put in there to verify. Good luck.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
stuartbell

stuartbell is on a distinguished road

As you are at used Mac so, need to think upon the status of drive. Also, pigoo3 has discussed all the possibilities of slow Mac.

I would suggest you to check the fragmentation level of your drive. If its highly fragmented then get it fixed. Hope it will help you.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
meandmyapple

I took out the HDD and booted the MM off a 64gb SD card. Sure enough, the lag disappeared. So the HDD is going bad. Ordered a WD Scorpio Black.

@stuartbell - OSX uses HFS+ filesystem, so unless the drive is really full, fragmentation does not make much sense.

thanks all! :-)
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by meandmyapple View Post
I took out the HDD and booted the MM off a 64gb SD card. Sure enough, the lag disappeared. So the HDD is going bad. Ordered a WD Scorpio Black.
Congrats finding the problem...definitely sounds like the HD.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Possible IMAC HD/RAM/logic board failure-help please! | problem with iMac 24 »