New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

PM G5 Resurrection

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Zeke_D

Zeke_D will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 13" MacBook Pro i5 / 4GB / 250GB

I was able to use a knife and a magnifying glass to correct the bent pins on CPU0 on my DP2.0ghz.

Here is an easy one: radon 9600 128mb or nvidia 5200 64mb?

Here is an intermediate one: after installed, can I delete the packages from library/combo update/packages/ ? It is taking up 768mb of space.

And the hard one:
The fans are always at the highest speed. When I open the case and remove the baffle, they are not as loud. If I just angle the baffle in, the red light goes out and the fans launch. Any ideas?

[ gen1 16gb iPad | gen2 500gb time capsule | gen3 32gb iPod touch | gen1 40gb appleTV ]
[ 12" iBook 1.33ghz | 1.25gb RAM | Mobility Radeon 9550 | 40gb HDD ]
[ eMac 1ghz | 1gb RAM | Radeon 9200 32mb | 240gb HDD | Airport Extreme ]
QUOTE Thanks
techiesteve

techiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz, MacBook 2.16 GHz, iPhone 5

When you removed the processors, did you note their positions and put them back the same? If not the fans will run fast. Either rotate them, or calibrate from the G5's ASD DVD if you have it.

Steve Bell
UK
QUOTE Thanks
Germany_chris

Germany_chris has a spectacular aura about

The PowerPC force isn't as strong here as Mac Rumors. I know you haven't been getting good answers to your questions there either so I'll take a shot.

The red led to indicate that the baffle is in is a sensor on the far right hand slot that recieves the baffle.

You need the ASD to do a thermal calibration, if you remove the processors you have to calibrate.

If you do remove the packages from library/combo update/packages/ and it boots please let me know.

Mac Pro 4,1 (Flashed to 5,1) W3570 3.2 Quad..48GB RAM..Gainward GTX 570 "Phantom."
MacBook Pro 5,2..2.8Ghz C2D..8GB RAM..240GB Vertex +
QUOTE Thanks
Zeke_D

ASD solved it for me. I have been using it for four days now. With the exception of it not waking from sleep and restart being problematic, it is in use right now.

The lack of PPC action was one of the reasons I migrated to macrumors.

[ gen1 16gb iPad | gen2 500gb time capsule | gen3 32gb iPod touch | gen1 40gb appleTV ]
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Cool beans. Glad you got it sorted. I wish I owned a PPC G5 Power Mac as that is the only older Mac I have no real experience with. Only put in memory and a hard drive for a friend.

Thanks Chris for helping them!!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
I wish I owned a PPC G5 Power Mac as that is the only older Mac I have no real experience with.
Hey buddy...they're selling rather cheap on e-Bay. I saw one go for as little as $55 + shipping!!!

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Germany_chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke_D View Post
ASD solved it for me. I have been using it for four days now. With the exception of it not waking from sleep and restart being problematic, it is in use right now.

The lack of PPC action was one of the reasons I migrated to macrumors.
Where did you pick up the ASD? I'd like to get my hands on the appropriate one but can't find it anywhere..I'm inclined to go to Seibold & Partner - Ihr Apple Händler in Stuttgart and see if they have one...

Mac Pro 4,1 (Flashed to 5,1) W3570 3.2 Quad..48GB RAM..Gainward GTX 570 "Phantom."
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germany_chris View Post
Where did you pick up the ASD? I'd like to get my hands on the appropriate one but can't find it anywhere..I'm inclined to go to Seibold & Partner - Ihr Apple Händler in Stuttgart and see if they have one...
I have had many people ask about that ASD. Let us know.
QUOTE Thanks
Germany_chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
I have had many people ask about that ASD. Let us know.
OK, do you have ASD 2.6.3 (which I believe is correct for a G5 quad) for reasonable price..I know they're not much in use anymore so I hope you can help a PowerPC guy out. Let me know the price and a PayPal address or a phone number so I can pay with my CC.

QUOTE Thanks
Zeke_D

I found it on one of the popular sites in SE. 2.5.7 worked for me.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help! How do I change my DNS server settings on router? | Can I use this seagate drive with a Mac »