New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Should I upgrade my 5 year-old iMac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hop_a_plane

hop_a_plane is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I bought my iMac back in February 2007, I'm happy to say it hasn't caused me much trouble (other than the hard drive crashing 2 years ago, at least it was still covered under my Apple Plan). It's gotten regular use for 5 years now and although I have no major problems, I was wondering if it's enough machine for my needs? I'm clueless in this department! Here are my specs:

iMac OS X (Snow Leopard)
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

It gets some fairly consistent use. iTunes is constantly going - if it's not iTunes, I'm watching shows or movies online; we're a cable-free family so what we watch is either on the computer or Apple TV. We also do a lot of online browsing, I do all my banking/communicating online. I love taking pictures so I have a LOT of pictures on my computer and do a bit of editing as well (for myself). My son plays online games sometimes.
We don't do anything super intensive, but we use the computer all the time. Would it benefit from a memory upgrade? We live in a rural area so our "high speed" internet is dodgy at best, so half the time I can't tell if my computer lags are from the internet connection or I really need to upgrade.
Would there be any suggestions for overall upgrading, or possibly a whole new computer. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

That particular machine is still a good one. The only problem in doing any kind of upgrade is that the maximum amount of memory it can use is 3 GB. You can install 4 GB but it will only address 3 GB. Other than a larger hard drive (which is a difficult upgrade to do) there isn't much else.

Can't do much about the slow internet connection since you live in a rural area where you probably don't have much choice in internet providers. If you're using wireless, you might consider wired (ethernet connection) instead. That may give you some more speed.

Overall, if your iMac is still useful to you and serves its purpose, keep on trucking!
QUOTE Thanks
Grayw97

Grayw97 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacbookPro: 2.3Ghz i5 Processer, 8GB RAM, OCZ Agility 3 240GB SSD

I agree with chscag. From what you use your Mac for it seems like it is the perfect computer for your needs. You might consider a memory upgrade but as chscag said the max you could go to would be 3GB.

Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
The only problem in doing any kind of upgrade is that the maximum amount of memory it can use is 3 GB. You can install 4 GB but it will only address 3 GB.
I've decided to do just that on my 5-year old Mini. I figure if it dies on me I'll remove the new RAM that I ordered for it and put the original sticks back in and just use those on my next Mini, if they can be useful. But, I suppose new Minis come with at least 4GB anyway in order to run Mountain Lion. My Mini has given me zero trouble, so I think it will last awhile with ML installed.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Found Today | document is in the desktop, but i cannot see it. »