New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac miniport to VGA

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wok666

wok666 is on a distinguished road

I have a 24-inch iMac which I got in 2009. Unfortunately the monitor has died, while the computer is still working. I had the choice of either repairing it for a lot of money, or just connect an external monitor.

So I got a miniport to VGA adapter and I connected a monitor I had sitting about (a Dell ). Nothing happened. Monitor does not seem to pick up signal

Anyone any advice?

ps The monitor has a female input, the adapter is female out as well, so I had to get male to male extension. Maybe something to do with it?
QUOTE Thanks
techiesteve

techiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz, MacBook 2.16 GHz, iPhone 5

You would only be able to use an external display if the iMac's LCD panel was defective, how did you verify this? Re a display with a VGA interface, it is normal for it to have a 15 pin female D connector. The monitor should have had a 15 pin male to 15 pin male interface cable. This cable connects from the display to the mini DVI to VGA Apple adapter. Is the Dell display known to be good?

Steve Bell
Aylesbury, UK
QUOTE Thanks
wok666

I had it checked by a certified Apple engineer. He said the LCD screen was defective but I would be able to connect an external monitor.

The Dell monitor works ok as far as I know, just. Regular VGA flat-panel monitor
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
You would only be able to use an external display if the iMac's LCD panel was defective,
This is not true. You can attach an external display to an iMac video output port whether or not the internal monitor is functioning.

@wok666:

First, do you have the correct adapter? You need a mini display port adapter to VGA or DVI (whichever input connection the Dell has), also a VGA or DVI cable to the Dell.

Second: Open System Preferences, Displays. Is the Dell monitor recognized? If it is, make sure your iMac is set to "Mirror" mode and that the correct native resolution is selected for the Dell. It should work.
QUOTE Thanks
wok666

How would I check system preferences when the LCD screen isn't working?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by wok666 View Post
How would I check system preferences when the LCD screen isn't working?
Do you have access to another Mac? If you do, use Target Firewire Disk Mode to boot the iMac with the bad display.
QUOTE Thanks
wok666

Will try that, thanks
QUOTE Thanks
techiesteve

techiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz, MacBook 2.16 GHz, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
This is not true. You can attach an external display to an iMac video output port whether or not the internal monitor is functioning.
You are of course right, as I wrongly worded my comment. What I intended to say was that you could only use an external display as a solution to this issue if the LCD was definitely defective, i.e. it wasn't a video card problem. We now know that the LCD was defective, as it was diagnosed by an Apple Certified Mac Technician.

Steve Bell
Aylesbury, UK
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook to VGA? | Deleating and organizing files »