New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Installing ssd in Mac Pro desktop?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Serpents Den

Serpents Den is on a distinguished road

I just got a 120 GB OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G with the Mount Pro Sled but I was reading that the ssd can also be installed in the second optical bay.

My question is what would be better performance wise and what are the pros and cons on installing the ssd to the optical drive vs HD bay?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

And this is a Mac Pro as stated?

Why do that when there are four hard drive bays? Always found the best option to use the SSD as boot drive, position in Bay One, and other drives from there. Brest performance is set up in drive bay one.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Serpents Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
And this is a Mac Pro as stated?

Why do that when there are four hard drive bays? Always found the best option to use the SSD as boot drive, position in Bay One, and other drives from there. Brest performance is set up in drive bay one.

Yes it's a mid 2010 Mac Pro Desktop.

I know there are four hard drive bays and presently I have two open bays. I obviously want the ssd to be my boot drive but I read somewhere about setting up the ssd in the optical bay and was wondering what if any benefits of installing it there?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpents Den View Post
...I read somewhere about setting up the ssd in the optical bay and was wondering what if any benefits of installing it there?
Look at it this way...would you install a traditional hard drive into one of the optical bays? If the optical bays were somehow superior to the 4 hard drive bays...wouldn't Apple have installed a hard drive in there already?? Same rules would apply for an SSD.

Also consider...it's gonna be a pain in the butt to get it in & out of the optical bay if you wanted to remove it.

If you have two open HD bays...I would just install it in there. I would only install an HD or SSD in an optical bay as a last resort (if everything else was full).

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Serpents Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Look at it this way...would you install a traditional hard drive into one of the optical bays? If the optical bays were somehow superior to the 4 hard drive bays...wouldn't Apple have installed a hard drive in there already?? Same rules would apply for an SSD.

Also consider...it's gonna be a pain in the butt to get it in & out of the optical bay if you wanted to remove it.

If you have two open HD bays...I would just install it in there. I would only install an HD or SSD in an optical bay as a last resort (if everything else was full).

- Nick

Ok, so there are no performance benefits to installing it in the optical drive, that's what I needed to know so I'll just install it in my first bay.

Thanks for your input!!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Good deal!...enjoy that SSD!

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Shutterfly page won't load in 10.6 | Mac Mini not booting after power outage »