Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Apple Desktops (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-desktops/)
-   -   Installing ssd in Mac Pro desktop? (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-desktops/278372-installing-ssd-mac-pro-desktop.html)

Serpents Den 07-01-2012 04:16 PM

Installing ssd in Mac Pro desktop?

I just got a 120 GB OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G with the Mount Pro Sled but I was reading that the ssd can also be installed in the second optical bay.

My question is what would be better performance wise and what are the pros and cons on installing the ssd to the optical drive vs HD bay?

harryb2448 07-01-2012 05:49 PM

And this is a Mac Pro as stated?

Why do that when there are four hard drive bays? Always found the best option to use the SSD as boot drive, position in Bay One, and other drives from there. Brest performance is set up in drive bay one.

Serpents Den 07-01-2012 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harryb2448 (Post 1420175)
And this is a Mac Pro as stated?

Why do that when there are four hard drive bays? Always found the best option to use the SSD as boot drive, position in Bay One, and other drives from there. Brest performance is set up in drive bay one.

Yes it's a mid 2010 Mac Pro Desktop.

I know there are four hard drive bays and presently I have two open bays. I obviously want the ssd to be my boot drive but I read somewhere about setting up the ssd in the optical bay and was wondering what if any benefits of installing it there?

pigoo3 07-01-2012 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serpents Den (Post 1420184)
...I read somewhere about setting up the ssd in the optical bay and was wondering what if any benefits of installing it there?

Look at it this way...would you install a traditional hard drive into one of the optical bays? If the optical bays were somehow superior to the 4 hard drive bays...wouldn't Apple have installed a hard drive in there already?? Same rules would apply for an SSD.

Also consider...it's gonna be a pain in the butt to get it in & out of the optical bay if you wanted to remove it.

If you have two open HD bays...I would just install it in there.:) I would only install an HD or SSD in an optical bay as a last resort (if everything else was full).

- Nick

Serpents Den 07-01-2012 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pigoo3 (Post 1420197)
Look at it this way...would you install a traditional hard drive into one of the optical bays? If the optical bays were somehow superior to the 4 hard drive bays...wouldn't Apple have installed a hard drive in there already?? Same rules would apply for an SSD.

Also consider...it's gonna be a pain in the butt to get it in & out of the optical bay if you wanted to remove it.

If you have two open HD bays...I would just install it in there.:) I would only install an HD or SSD in an optical bay as a last resort (if everything else was full).

- Nick

Ok, so there are no performance benefits to installing it in the optical drive, that's what I needed to know so I'll just install it in my first bay.

Thanks for your input!!

pigoo3 07-01-2012 10:06 PM

Good deal!...enjoy that SSD!:)

- Nick