New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

New trash can?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sjhatton

sjhatton is on a distinguished road

Is it possible to get a new trashcan? I have a new iMac running OS 7 and inadvertently trashed several file folders from my external Time Machine hard drive. Now the trash won't empty. I assume it's because the folders contain OS? Anyway, I'd like to get back to an empty trash can? Any suggestions? Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
aLotus

aLotus is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 9,1

This is a hardware forum. You would be better posting this question to one of the OS forums. Also, I'm sure you're not running OS 7 on a new iMac. Do you mean 10.7 (Lion)?

Anyway, click on Trash to open it. Select the items which you "inadvertently trashed", right click (or option-click if you don't have right clicking enabled) and select "put back". If they were from an external drive, obviously you need to have that drive attached. That will remove them from Trash and allow you to empty any other contents as usual.
QUOTE Thanks
sjhatton

sjhatton is on a distinguished road

Sorry. You're right, I am running Lion, v. 10.7.4. Thanks for your suggestion but I don't want to return the deleted folders to my Time Machine drive. I am able to empty the trash of other contents ... just not these 40+ folders. I want to permanently delete them or replace the trash can. Perhaps I should repost under an OS forum. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

Try holding down the "Option" key while emptying your trash, this should cause a "Force empty" and hopefully delete those unwanted files.

-Evan
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to delete duplicate files in one click | Shutterfly page won't load in 10.6 »