New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

What happens when there's too much RAM in iMac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sylvesterp3

sylvesterp3 is on a distinguished road

I got a 27 inch iMac 3.1 i5 with 4GB (2x2GB) of memory and just purchased an additional 16GB (2x8GB). I never want to go slow and I like running Lightroom and Photoshop and other stuff at once...
According to the specs the computer maxes out at 16GB but there are four slots in the machine ao I am thinking of using them all.

What happens when I install all of it to make it a total of 20GB???
Will it not read some of it? Do I risk ruining the memory chips???

Seriously? Any power power users out there that have done it?

If you ask why I need so much memory - the answer is it's really cheap. Why not.
I got Crucial and probably should've gone with OWS (way cheaper) but wasn't convinced.

Any comments and insight appreciated
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

it'll run it.

Apple's specs are often incorrect, well.. they're correct for what they sell.. but incorrect for what the system board will support.

If this is a 2011 iMac...
Maximum Memory 32 GB (Actual) 16 GB (Apple)
Memory Slots 4 - 204-pin PC3-10600 (1333 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM

I've been running 16GB of RAM in my 2011 MBP with a stated max of 8GB for quite some time.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
scathe

scathe is a jewel in the roughscathe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2,4Ghz 15" unibody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
it'll run it.

Apple's specs are often incorrect, well.. they're correct for what they sell.. but incorrect for what the system board will support.

If this is a 2011 iMac...
Maximum Memory 32 GB (Actual) 16 GB (Apple)
Memory Slots 4 - 204-pin PC3-10600 (1333 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM

I've been running 16GB of RAM in my 2011 MBP with a stated max of 8GB for quite some time.
Have you tried that with a 2008 mbp? To go over 4Gb? (You have a 2008 in your signature)
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

I haven't, but OWC/Mactracker (which I find fully accurate) report that the early 08 MBP will run 6GB, and the late will run 8.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

If you put more memory in a system than is supported by the logic board, it will just ignore it and use up what it can..there is usually no harm in putting the extra memory, you just won't be using it in all situations..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
luiscesarmx

luiscesarmx is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27 i7 2.93 GHz 20 RAM 1 TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvesterp3 View Post
I got a 27 inch iMac 3.1 i5 with 4GB (2x2GB) of memory and just purchased an additional 16GB (2x8GB). I never want to go slow and I like running Lightroom and Photoshop and other stuff at once...
According to the specs the computer maxes out at 16GB but there are four slots in the machine ao I am thinking of using them all.

What happens when I install all of it to make it a total of 20GB???
Will it not read some of it? Do I risk ruining the memory chips???

Seriously? Any power power users out there that have done it?

If you ask why I need so much memory - the answer is it's really cheap. Why not.
I got Crucial and probably should've gone with OWS (way cheaper) but wasn't convinced.

Any comments and insight appreciated
I did that and its working on an iMac 27 inch Mid 2010 2.93 mhz (customized) 8 8 and 2 2 = 20 total ram.

It works and detects the memory.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2012-10-17 at 1.50.00 PM.png (70.1 KB, 28 views)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac refresh due soon? | The eternal Mac versa PC question! »