New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Back on my G5

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Germany_chris

Germany_chris has a spectacular aura about

Well I put the "other computer" away and am back on my G5. It's quite nice to be using my old friend again!

The interesting part is that the computer with the 18,000 geekbench vs. 2000 for the G5 just isn't noticeably faster in Ps and Ai than my many year old G5. On the web and working in office productivity I don't think there is any difference.

It's nice to be back

Mac Pro 4,1 (Flashed to 5,1) W3570 3.2 Quad..48GB RAM..Gainward GTX 570 "Phantom."
MacBook Pro 5,2..2.8Ghz C2D..8GB RAM..240GB Vertex +
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germany_chris View Post
The interesting part is that the computer with the 18,000 geekbench vs. 2000 for the G5 just isn't noticeably faster in Ps and Ai than my many year old G5. On the web and working in office productivity I don't think there is any difference.
This is because most programs are not written for multiple core computers...and if they are...not many multi-core capable apps. are written well.

I recently sold my 8-core (16 thread) Mac Pro that scores 12,000...and I had the same experiences as you. For "normal" stuff...a big powerful computer with all sorts of cores just doesn't make a difference.

- Nick

p.s. I'm not REALLY sure why you made this post...when you're mostly talking about your "other" computer. And you know the rules about that!

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

But, it is interesting to hear the perspective, especially in view of a post you made recently on G5s.
Agree, though, having said that, this conversation is skirting bounds of our community guidelines.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
But, it is interesting to hear the perspective, especially in view of a post you made recently on G5s.
Most definitely. G5's (for some things can still be very useful). That thread was for a dual-cpu Powermac G5. I have a 20" iMac G5 as well (single cpu)...it does a pretty good job with internet (and other things) as well...and I got the G5 iMac for free (just needed an HD)!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

If the caps would have not died in my iMac G5 iSight it would still be doing a good job here. The Intel Mac I own now is faster but it was still very useable.
QUOTE Thanks
Germany_chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
This is because most programs are not written for multiple core computers...and if they are...not many multi-core capable apps. are written well.

I recently sold my 8-core (16 thread) Mac Pro that scores 12,000...and I had the same experiences as you. For "normal" stuff...a big powerful computer with all sorts of cores just doesn't make a difference.

- Nick

p.s. I'm not REALLY sure why you made this post...when you're mostly talking about your "other" computer. And you know the rules about that!
I made this thread as another way to talk to the threads about C2D iMac vs Core iWhatever, Mac Pro vs iMac, Didn't max out my iMac should I buy more RAM, etc.

This industry tends to tell you that you need to update reasonably often so people think their needs are aligning with the upgrade cycle, when really they're not.

I agree that most programs are not multi threaded, but just one core on the other computer was 4.9Ghz, this thing is 4Ghz in total

Mac Pro 4,1 (Flashed to 5,1) W3570 3.2 Quad..48GB RAM..Gainward GTX 570 "Phantom."
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
I made this thread as another way to talk to the threads about C2D iMac vs Core iWhatever, Mac Pro vs iMac, Didn't max out my iMac should I buy more RAM, etc.

This industry tends to tell you that you need to update reasonably often so people think their needs are aligning with the upgrade cycle, when really they're not.

I agree that most programs are not multi threaded, but just one core on the other computer was 4.9Ghz, this thing is 4Ghz in total
It's also a different architecture, which will effect many things. So now we're stuck with intel architecture, which means.. if you want to use CS5/5.5/6 you're going to need an intel processor. While potentially not any faster, I can think of things I drastically prefer about 5.5/6 over ohhh say... cs3.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
Germany_chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
It's also a different architecture, which will effect many things. So now we're stuck with intel architecture, which means.. if you want to use CS5/5.5/6 you're going to need an intel processor. While potentially not any faster, I can think of things I drastically prefer about 5.5/6 over ohhh say... cs3.
There are things I love about CS 5 and 5.5 but for a VAST majority of what I do CS3 works just fine. The things I do are make banners, fliers, business cards, certificates, design coins etc. nothing really demanding..

Worst case is the money that comes in from the computer that cannot be named goes to a newish MP..

QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
There are things I love about CS 5 and 5.5 but for a VAST majority of what I do CS3 works just fine. The things I do are make banners, fliers, business cards, certificates, design coins etc. nothing really demanding..

Worst case is the money that comes in from the computer that cannot be named goes to a newish MP..
Exactly, it's always about needs isn't it?

Buying based on 'wants' is a bad thing, if you're deriving income from the venture.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« output imac G5 to vga? | Non Breaking space IMac »