New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

The Better Processor

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Grayw97

Grayw97 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacbookPro: 2.3Ghz i5 Processer, 8GB RAM, OCZ Agility 3 240GB SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Speeds up cpu functions...by "caching" frequently used info.

"L" - Level

Usually. The size of the "cache" has gotten larger over time.

- Nick

p.s. Read this if you REALLY want to know more:

CPU cache - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Awesome!
Thanks for all your help!
God Bless!
QUOTE Thanks
Adric

Adric is a jewel in the roughAdric is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD

If games were written to take advantage of 4 cores then everyone with a duel core setup would be out of luck and so on and so forth. Why they don't write code to automatically detect your processing setup, I don't know. I'm not a programmer.

To be perfectly honest, I have to agree with Nick too. I think an iMac would probably serve your needs just as well if not better. Believe it or not, iMacs currently have better processors than the Mac Pro's because Apple hasn't refreshed the pro lineup in a long time (they claim a big refresh is coming next year). The big advantage the Mac Pro offers in the world of gaming is the ability to upgrade the video card to something far more powerful than the iMac uses but doing that will cost even more $$$.

Your decision!
QUOTE Thanks
Grayw97

Grayw97 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacbookPro: 2.3Ghz i5 Processer, 8GB RAM, OCZ Agility 3 240GB SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
If games were written to take advantage of 4 cores then everyone with a duel core setup would be out of luck and so on and so forth. Why they don't write code to automatically detect your processing setup, I don't know. I'm not a programmer.

To be perfectly honest, I have to agree with Nick too. I think an iMac would probably serve your needs just as well if not better. Believe it or not, iMacs currently have better processors than the Mac Pro's because Apple hasn't refreshed the pro lineup in a long time (they claim a big refresh is coming next year). The big advantage the Mac Pro offers in the world of gaming is the ability to upgrade the video card to something far more powerful than the iMac uses but doing that will cost even more $$$.

Your decision!
Thanks a lot for you help!
I was mainly just wandering about processors. I am not even sure if I will get a computer. Thanks for the information for in the future (when I hopefully do get one).
God Bless!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« External Imac Ports? | Track Pad or keyboard? »