New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Help needed

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

O'Sidarta

O'Sidarta is on a distinguished road

Last week my 2007 iMac has been encountering performance problems.
After using disk utility I get the message that there's an invalid node structure and that the disk needs to be repaired.

The disk utility was unable to perform the repair, so I reinstalled the OS.
Did all the upgrades and performed the upgrade to Snow Leopard.
But then things started to go wrong completely, mail didn't want to start up, and got a message that the software isn't compatible, did the whole reinstall again, then got a message that Safari isn't compatible with the OS, but mail worked fine again.

So finally I restored everything to factory settings, and did a virus check on my back-up disk:

I got this result: W32.Adware.InstallCore-1 it gets quarantined

So do I have a virus or a broken harddisk?

Help is appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
bboggess

bboggess has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: late 2011 mac Mini, 2.3 GHz core i5, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Mountain Lion 10.8.4, Retina display iPad

It's Windows Malware that should have no effect on your machine.

Bill
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Were Safari and Mail the only programs acting a little weird? If so try the following:

1. While in your regular account go into Mail preferences and write down the settings for your e-mail account.
2. From the Users and Group preference pane create a new user account and name it whatever you like.
3.Try launching Safari and see if it behaves correctly. If it is try going to a few sites you visit regularly.
4. If Safari is working now try Mail. You will need to essentially recreate the account information.

If this works then the problem was likely corrupt preference files. Let us know the results and go from there.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post

1. While in your regular account go into Mail preferences and write down the settings for your e-mail account.
2. From the Users and Group preference pane create a new user account and name it whatever you like.
2a. Log out and back in using that new account.
3.Try launching Safari and see if it behaves correctly. If it is try going to a few sites you visit regularly.
4. If Safari is working now try Mail. You will need to essentially recreate the account information.
Right?
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

oops. You're right as usual my friend. Color me embarrassed. Thanks buddy

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« OSx not recognized. Invalid node estructure error but Windows 7 partition works | Mac Mini won't power up (sometimes) »