New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Semi-Sad Day!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Semi-sad day today in the "Nick" household. I sold my 2009 8-core Mac Pro. Yes...I actually sold something! As some folks know...I'm usually the person doing the buying (mostly older stuff)!

It was nice having this "beast" around just for the fun of it...but honestly...I really wasn't making very good use of it's capabilities. There just aren't enough multi-core capable applications out there to take advantage of 8-cores (16 virtual cores). And the apps. that do take advantage of all the cores...are mostly those used by folks in the photo, graphics, and video industry (which I don't really use much).

I sold it to a local person who is an aspiring computer graphics professional for the animation, movies, or video game industry. They were currently using a dual-core MacBook Pro to render images...which was basically an over-the-night activity. But now with an 8-core Mac Pro...hopefully things will be processed much more quickly.

On the positive side...I have some cash (mad-money) to spend...and with all of the Apple hardware upgrade announcements expected next week...who knows what might be in store!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Condolences and congratulations combined . . . look forward to seeing what form your new acquistion takes.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

If you need some help spending some of that mad money I will be glad to lend a hand. Can't leave a fellow forum member in a bind. lol

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
If you need some help spending some of that mad money I will be glad to lend a hand. Can't leave a fellow forum member in a bind. lol
Now I know how lottery winners feel...ha ha!

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
Condolences and congratulations combined . . . look forward to seeing what form your new acquistion takes.
Thanks man.

I'm already shopping e-Bay, Craig's List, and Apple.com...but I think that I have to "cool my jets" until at least Tuesday to see what the Apple announcements have in store.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Wow! The Shock of the Who New! And ...buy something New. You made someone really happy and may change there life for the better. Im ready to get rid of more stuff and I feel the pain...but I picked up an HP laser printer at the dumpster this week...Will it ever stop!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac SK View Post
...but I picked up an HP laser printer at the dumpster this week...Will it ever stop!
Stay away from the dumpsters!!!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Stay away from the dumpsters!!!

- Nick
But...It was just there with a shaft of light from above...saying Take meSo I did.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Hahahahahaha! Best computer dumpster find I have ever gotten was a B&W G3 Tower!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Never ceases to amaze me what people will put in a dumpster and subsequently into a landfill. There's so many good ways to recycle computer equipment (some of them free) and too many people that would love to have it - but I digress...

Nick, I'll be excited to hear what you choose to replace the Mac Pro with. Sounds like next week will be like Christmas for Apple fans, considering the bevy of rumors out there.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

I've been shopping e-Bay & Craig's List quite a bit the last few days. Usually for the best value...I like to purchase the previous generation used or refurbished right after new models are announced (best price/value/newness combination)

My main setup BEFORE selling the Mac Pro was...obviously the Mac Pro + a 2008 17" MacBook Pro. The MacBook Pro is running great...and HONESTLY...I don't REALLY need anything newer at this point. But that wouldn't be much fun!!!

For the $$$ I got for the Mac Pro...some options I was considering were:

- a newer 17" MacBook Pro (2010 or early 2011 model) + a used 27" Apple Cinema display.
- a 27" iMac (current version) or brand new version announced next week...if there are significant changes.
- a late 2011 17" MacBook Pro "quad-core" (current version)

If I got a newer 17" MBP...then of course I would have to sell my current 17" MBP...since I don't need two. Which also means the "fun" dealing with folks on Craig's List!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I think I'd skip the Apple Cinema Display and go with the newer 17" MBP.

Apple makes a decent display, but they are out-of-this-world overpriced, even used. I realize they're IPS panels, but one can certainly find an equivalent display for a 1/3 of the price.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
I think I'd skip the Apple Cinema Display and go with the newer 17" MBP.

Apple makes a decent display, but they are out-of-this-world overpriced, even used. I realize they're IPS panels, but one can certainly find an equivalent display for a 1/3 of the price.
I totally know what you're saying (I always advise the same exact thing)...and I NEVER would have considered a 27" Apple Cinema display...but then I found a lightly used one for sale for about 67% ($675) of the cost of a new one ($999).

Then reading the spec's on the 27" Apple Cinema display...I found out that it has some neat features...such as:

- built in 49watt speakers
- built in mag-safe cord to charge a MacBook/MacBook Pro while using the display.
- built in iSight canera

But I would never pay $999 + tax for one.

I also don't NEED another external display (I have plenty laying around)...but you know how it is with Apple products...they always make something really cool that no one else makes!

Since I do have external displays (22" and 24")...a new or almost new 17 MBP makes more sense. I just hate to buy models that are almost new (or new)...since you pay a BIG premium for almost new stuff...and then the depreciation kicks in. I usually like to buy 2-3 year old stuff. Anything newer...and I think that I'm splurging!

But the newer 17" MBP's do have what I would like in a powerful laptop:

- quad-core i7 cpu
- lots of ram capability (16 gig)
- pretty darn good graphics (for a laptop or otherwise)
- benchmark scores that rival the current 27" iMac

Always a tough decision.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Nick, is that the 27" Apple display with the Thunderbolt port?

Let us know what you end up with.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Nick, is that the 27" Apple display with the Thunderbolt port?

Let us know what you end up with.
It's the 27" Apple Cinema display before the current model with the Thunderbolt port.

Apple doesn't seem to think that there is a difference though...since they're selling both models for the same price ($999 new or $849 refurbished).

Honestly...I REALLY don't need to get anything at this point. My 17" 2008 MBP + 24" external display totally do everything I need them to do.

But the $$$$ I got from selling the Mac Pro IS "computer money"...and so it should be spent (at some point)...on computer "goodies". It would be pretty boring if I just put that money in the bank...or bought more Apple stock!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Please Help, Processor Screws | How many cores does my iMac have? »