New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

BIG scare

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Ttaylor394

Ttaylor394 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: '10 21.5iMac self update-1TB 16GB-'12 MBP13 self update 1TB 16gb-32GB&16gb iphones-32GB iPad,

My iMac is situated on an old sewing desk. The desk is butted up agains a side of our kitchen counter. There is an over hang outwards the living room. The iMac was resting on top of a thick book about 5x8 or so..

Well my daughter was on the iMac and chilling and had her feet pushing against the desk which in turn had the iMac pushed off by the over hang...

My daughter is 5 and she's fine, it scared her mostly. She sorta caught the iMac as it fell off the desk onto her lap pretty much (not from a great distance) i told her that i could buy a million computers but she's the only one i will ever have, and that i wasn't mad.. but not to do that again .

It has a scuff or 2 that i can wipe off I'm sure, and there are a few nicks from my keyboard and trackpad.. but to my question..

Is there a way to test the screen? I thought i noticed some discoloration at the bottom of the screen (no apple care, in this scenario it really doesn't matter though) a very faint yellow tint. Im sure i could dl a pink background but i was wondering if there is a diagnostic i could run...

thanks

21.5"iMac i3 3.06:running 10.7  500GB HD  16GB DDR3  Magic Trackpad  Black iPhone4 32GB  White iPhone4 16GB  Apple Extreme Airport Base Station 
QUOTE Thanks
rabbitjetta

rabbitjetta is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Retina Pro, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPod touch 3-5, iMac 27

If anything it damaged the LED, you may have apple care left if it is less then a year.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Try running this LCD testing app. See how the different colors look full screen and if they have any discoloration at the bottom of the screen.

LCDtest for Mac - CNET Download.com
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Looks like the last version of OS X that can run that LCD test program is Tiger, at least according to the system requirements at the download link. Have you tried it with Leopard, SL, and Lion?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Snow Leopard for sure worked with the one I got. Will try lion and post back. I don't go by what they say as it's an old app and not been updated in ages.

Works in SL but not Lion as it needs Rosetta. Works in everything but Lion.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

OK, thanks Dennis. I was going to download it and give it a run (not that I really need it) for fun. Since I'm running Lion, I won't bother.
QUOTE Thanks
Ttaylor394

Ttaylor394 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: '10 21.5iMac self update-1TB 16GB-'12 MBP13 self update 1TB 16gb-32GB&16gb iphones-32GB iPad,

Thanks for the help guys, ill give that a shot...

alas... no Apple Care

21.5"iMac i3 3.06:running 10.7  500GB HD  16GB DDR3  Magic Trackpad  Black iPhone4 32GB  White iPhone4 16GB  Apple Extreme Airport Base Station 
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Auction Mac Mini OS install issues | USB port disabled for drawing too much power »