New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Mini Mid 2011 RAM

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Stuchel

Stuchel is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 2.5 GHz mid 2011, ATV2, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s, iPod touch 4g, iPad 2 64gb, Airport Extreme +

Hi, it's my first post, I did a search on the forum but the search came back with nothing, I googled my issue but got conflicting answers.....

I bought a mid-2011 2.5 GHZ Mac Mini last week as an addition to my home theatre, I decided to buy an upgrade to the RAM from amazon but in my haste bought 2 x 4GB 1066 MHz sticks instead of 1333 MHz sticks, I would just like to know if it's ok to just use the sticks when they come or would I SEE the benefit of returning them and replacing with the 1333 MHz sticks??

I'm going to be using the Mini for xbmc, plex, iTunes etc.

Thanks in advance..

Stuart
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

What's the return policy on the ram?

If you're still able to return the ram after installing it...then you could try installing the ram...and seeing if it will work (or even fit).

Personally I would return the ram (even though it's a pain in the butt)...and get the correct 1333MHz ram.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Stuchel

Mac Specs: Mac Mini 2.5 GHz mid 2011, ATV2, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s, iPod touch 4g, iPad 2 64gb, Airport Extreme +

I'm unsure what the official return policy is, it's my first purchase from Amazon so maybe someone more used to Amazon returns could enlighten me?? As for the RAM from what I've read there shouldn't be much difference with regards to speed only in certain resource hungry programs, don't know how true this is. I really want to use the RAM but at the same time I really want to get thing right, if someone can reassure me that it WOULD be fine to use with minimal difference then I probably would, if not then it's return to Amazon and buy the right one, I'm gutted I rushed into it lol.

Cheers tho Nick, appreciate the guidance...

Stuart
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

personally, I'd return it and get the 1333 and avoid any potential problems returning unusable ram. it's the path of least resistance.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
Stuchel

Oh well, cheers for that Mike and Nick, decision made, I've ordered the 1333 MHz sticks off Amazon, I'll return the 1066 sticks when they arrive! At least I wont be looking back and saying WHY? Lol

Thanks again

Stuart
QUOTE Thanks
RattlerMac

RattlerMac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mini Server (2011), MBP 15inch i7(2013) Retina, iTouch 64Gb 4gen, Itouch 64Gb 5gen, iPad mini Retina

I was looking at the Mac Mini specs and it say that most is 8Gb that can be placed into it. Does anyone know when will Apple release a Mac Mini that can hold 16Gb?

Trying to decide if I should wait for the 16Gb mini or try to make do with the 8Gb.
QUOTE Thanks
Stuchel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattlerMac View Post
I was looking at the Mac Mini specs and it say that most is 8Gb that can be placed into it. Does anyone know when will Apple release a Mac Mini that can hold 16Gb?

Trying to decide if I should wait for the 16Gb mini or try to make do with the 8Gb.
You already can upgrade to 16gb RAM, check OWC Offers 16GB RAM Upgrade for New Mac Mini, For $1400 - MacRumors.com

Stuart
QUOTE Thanks
RattlerMac

Mac Specs: Mini Server (2011), MBP 15inch i7(2013) Retina, iTouch 64Gb 4gen, Itouch 64Gb 5gen, iPad mini Retina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuchel View Post
You already can upgrade to 16gb RAM, check OWC Offers 16GB RAM Upgrade for New Mac Mini, For $1400 - MacRumors.com

Stuart
Ok So why doesn't Apple Store list 16GB as an option for the Mac Mini? I trying to follow whatever the Apple Store (using as official source) has listed as a memory option. The article is date 2011, but Apple Store still doesn't list 16Gb as a options. Is Apple that slow.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

It's because the "official Apple position" is that your machine was designed and tested for 8 GB of memory and that's what they guaranty it for. However, the folks from Other World Computing and ifixit have determined (through independent testing) the machine can accept up to 16 GB of memory.

Be advised that if you do install 16 GB of memory and it doesn't work right or for some reason it blows up your machine (very unlikely) your warranty is void.
QUOTE Thanks
RattlerMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post

Be advised that if you do install 16 GB of memory and it doesn't work right or for some reason it blows up your machine (very unlikely) your warranty is void.
The void warranty is the key piece I wanted to know. Has anyone done the upgrade to 16Gb without issue.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattlerMac View Post
Ok So why doesn't Apple Store list 16GB as an option for the Mac Mini? I trying to follow whatever the Apple Store (using as official source) has listed as a memory option. The article is date 2011, but Apple Store still doesn't list 16Gb as a options. Is Apple that slow.
There are (and have been over the years)...many Mac models that actually have a higher max. ram than Apple claims. Even if Apple "officially" said that the Mac-Mini you're interested in could hold 16 gig...you wouldn't want to buy the ram from Apple...since in many cases Apple charges 2x-4x too much.

FYI...the Apple online Store is NOT the best place to get technical details about Apple computers. If you want details...go to Everymac.com.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
RattlerMac

Thanks for the input everyone.

I found the answers that I was looking for.

Also, EveryMac.com is fantastic and more than what I need, which means I have tons of new information to process. Thanks for informing me of the website.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Pro strange boot error | Auction Mac Mini OS install issues »