New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

How much useful life left in a G5 iMac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pod

pod will become famous soon enough

I have the chance to buy a 20 inch G5 iMac from a friend for 100. He has had it since new and I know it has been very well looked after and fault free.

I would be using it to surf, watch DVDs, listen to iTunes and do some light Adobe CS2 work, all of which I believe this machine should be able to handle.

My main concern is how much longer it will be able to be used for watching online tv, Youtube etc. as Flash is no longer supported on this machine.

A hundred quid for a machine that within a year may be unable to be used for online tv due to the redundant Flash? Interested to hear your views.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

It will be great for what you want

THere is flash support, its just not updated, and the G5 has a 128 mb radion chip so its still pretty good for online video

Flash Player Help | Archived Flash Player versions

Hack Allows PowerPC Macs to Access Flash 11 Content

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
pod

pod will become famous soon enough

Thanks louishen.

I know there is currently Flash support for the G5 iMac but I was thinking more of the future, when sites require a higher version of Flash to view their content, which this Old G5 will not be able too do (or does it not work like that?).
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pod View Post
Thanks louishen.

I know there is currently Flash support for the G5 iMac but I was thinking more of the future, when sites require a higher version of Flash to view their content, which this Old G5 will not be able too do (or does it not work like that?).
If you have concerns regarding the purchase of this G5 iMac...then don't get it.

100 isn't a whole lot of money for a computer. You have to factor in your investment versus what you get out of it (you get what you pay for).

Don't expect to necessarily get years & years of use out of this computer...the same time that you might get from a brand new computer that costs much more (999.00+).

If you get 6-12 months out of this computer for 100...you've probably got your money's worth out of it.

With that being said...an iMac G5 will be fine for many activities. Just don't expect the best video performance (You-Tube) or gaming performance. I still have a couple iMac G5's laying around that I use myself...and "dig out" for friends & family to use when they visit.

Good luck,

- Nick

p.s. You would be MUCH better off getting an older Intel Macintosh with a core 2 duo cpu (Mac-mini, iMac, etc.)...but I also realize that you're probably not going to be able to get one of these used for 100.

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Germany_chris

Germany_chris has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by pod View Post
Thanks louishen.

PowerPC Flash support ended with 10.1 so it's been a year to a year and half since flash was updated..

There is a hack to fool sites into thinking you have 11 it is in essence a fake plug in..

I love PowerPC but iMac G5's while pretty are things I avoid..

Mac Pro 4,1 (Flashed to 5,1) W3570 3.2 Quad..48GB RAM..Gainward GTX 570 "Phantom."
MacBook Pro 5,2..2.8Ghz C2D..8GB RAM..240GB Vertex +
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germany_chris View Post
I love PowerPC but iMac G5's while pretty are things I avoid..
Agreed. Particularly at this age - the capacitors are known to go bad.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac 7,1 slow and often needs permissions fixed | iMac won't power up »