New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac G5 Ultra ATA/100 optical drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Frosty1962

Frosty1962 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Primary iMac 3.4 GHz Intel i7 Quad Core 16 GB Ram 2 TB HDD with 6TB Thunderbolt Lacie 2 Big Drive

My internal Superdrive died in my 2004 Power Mac Dual 2.0 GHz, I've already checked with the sales dept. at OWC and they can't help me. I wanted to upgrade the optical drive to a Lightscribe DVD burner, but I've hit the wall.

I'm thinking about using an adapter from my IDE Ultra ATA/100 connector on my Mother Board or is it Daughter Board? The adapter supposedly converts my IDE to SATA, so theoretically I could use a off the shelf DVD burner that supports LightScribe?????

StarTechcom IDE to SATA Adapter Converter by Office Depot

Here's the problem on my G5 I have 39 male pins and every adapter I've checked has 40 female pin slots. Will this be a problem?
QUOTE Thanks
Germany_chris

Germany_chris has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty1962 View Post
My internal Superdrive died in my 2004 Power Mac Dual 2.0 GHz, I've already checked with the sales dept. at OWC and they can't help me. I wanted to upgrade the optical drive to a Lightscribe DVD burner, but I've hit the wall.

I'm thinking about using an adapter from my IDE Ultra ATA/100 connector on my Mother Board or is it Daughter Board? The adapter supposedly converts my IDE to SATA, so theoretically I could use a off the shelf DVD burner that supports LightScribe?????

StarTechcom IDE to SATA Adapter Converter by Office Depot

Here's the problem on my G5 I have 39 male pins and every adapter I've checked has 40 female pin slots. Will this be a problem?
If your not using you second HDD slot why don't you just run a SATA cable from it's port to the optical. If you are IMHO and SI PCI/PCIX SATA card would be a better option. Do the above and run your second drive from the SATA card. The added benefit is that you'll have 3 or so new SATA ports. You can put drives in front of the front fans.

http://www.amazon.com/Syba-SATA-PCI-...8312209&sr=8-1

This is the one I use.

Mac Pro 4,1 (Flashed to 5,1) W3570 3.2 Quad..48GB RAM..Gainward GTX 570 "Phantom."
MacBook Pro 5,2..2.8Ghz C2D..8GB RAM..240GB Vertex +
QUOTE Thanks
Frosty1962

Frosty1962 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Primary iMac 3.4 GHz Intel i7 Quad Core 16 GB Ram 2 TB HDD with 6TB Thunderbolt Lacie 2 Big Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germany_chris View Post
If your not using you second HDD slot why don't you just run a SATA cable from it's port to the optical. If you are IMHO and SI PCI/PCIX SATA card would be a better option. Do the above and run your second drive from the SATA card. The added benefit is that you'll have 3 or so new SATA ports. You can put drives in front of the front fans.

Amazon.com: Syba SATA II PCI-X 4 Ports Host Raid Controller Card: Electronics

This is the one I use.
Thank you for the reply and the link I am using the second SATA port for an additional HDD, LOL! I thought about that too. I had a good feeling there was someone that was in the same perdicament as myself. I like the option you suggested much better than my original thought, it looks like a better quality piece of equipment.

Thank you again for the link

Kind regards,

Frosty
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Mini ! | Why won't my Mac Pro boot? »