New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Networking my 2 MacMinis

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

grenderer

grenderer is on a distinguished road

I have a MacMini (Leopard), purchased two years ago and just bought a brand new Lion MacMini so that I can work on more than one project at a time. I've heard others talk about "networking" two Macs together years ago, and would love to do this.

Some questions:

1) Can this be done w/o an internet connection? (sadly, my router no longer works for 2 Macs; only my new MacMini can be connected directly to modem. Long story...)

2) Do both MacMinis need Lion for this to work?

3) If this is do-able under these conditions, can some kind Mac expert here please show me how to do this in steps?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

1. Yes this can be done rather easily and without both computers needing an internet connection.
2. Although it is convenient for both machines to have the same OS since the settings will be in the same places it is not necessary.
3. If both Minis have Airport cards in them you might give these directions a try How to Create a Wireless Ad-Hoc Network between Macs - Video - For Dummies

You could also set up the same type of network using an ethernet cable. I'll see if I can dig up a good set of directions. Either way you will need to make any adjustments to file sharing as needed.

BTW once the network is up and running you should be able give internet access to the second computer by turning on Internet sharing on the computer connected to the modem.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
grenderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
1. Yes this can be done rather easily and without both computers needing an internet connection.
2. Although it is convenient for both machines to have the same OS since the settings will be in the same places it is not necessary.
3. If both Minis have Airport cards in them you might give these directions a try How to Create a Wireless Ad-Hoc Network between Macs - Video - For Dummies

You could also set up the same type of network using an ethernet cable. I'll see if I can dig up a good set of directions. Either way you will need to make any adjustments to file sharing as needed.

BTW once the network is up and running you should be able give internet access to the second computer by turning on Internet sharing on the computer connected to the modem.
Wow, this is great! Thanks so much for this info.
I will be looking for your directions on the ethernet cable & will be acting on your suggestions soon.

btw: I would upgrade my older MacMini to Lion in a nano-second, but that would disable some old but extremely valuable Alien Skin P-shop filters that were discontinued some years back. I've looked everywhere I could on the internet, but can't find anything that come close. Glad to hear I will be able to do this with Leopard.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Here is none set of directions for creating an ad hoc network. It was written with older versions of OS X in mind but I think you will get the idea. Ad hoc networking - Page 1 | Macworld

That article mentions use of a "crossover" cable or switch to make things work with some Macs. I don't think either will be necessary with the Minis. Because their ethernet ports auto sense when they are connecting to another Mac a regular ethernet cable should do the trick.

QUOTE Thanks
grenderer

Thanks again! Currently under the gun with some deadlines, but will be following the instructions you've laid out to accomplish all of this in the next few weeks.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Glad to help. Let us know how it goes.

QUOTE Thanks
grenderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
Glad to help. Let us know how it goes.
It's not working at all.

I followed all of the instructions from the "Dummies" vid, but when I try to connect to my old Mac mini on my new one, I keep getting a "No network found" message. When I try to connect with my new Mac mini on my old one, I am getting a "network timeout" message on my "Enter the name of the network" window.

I also tried the "Ad hoc networking" instructions from Macworld using a Netgear 10/100 Fast Ethernet Switch, but that didn't work either.

Thanks anyway for trying.
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by grenderer View Post
It's not working at all.

Thanks anyway for trying.
Most likely you've missed a step or misunderstood something.

Be sure and tell us if you want to try again.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« imac A1224 20" Hard drive replacement? | Connecting powermac G5 to Non HDTV? »