New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac 7,1 slow and often needs permissions fixed

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jschackai

jschackai is on a distinguished road

My iMac runs slow after several hours of use. I then run "repair permissions". This afternoon it took 21 minutes. Day before yesterday, 31 minutes. A knowledgeable Mac guy told me I could have one of three things wrong. 1. My new memory is defective ( it ran worse when I only had 1 gig and would often crash). 2. My motherboard is starting to fail. 3. My hard drive is starting to fail.
Any body know what to do?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

G'day and welcome to the forums.

Start with suggestion 3. You do have the system install disc? Pop that in and reboot holding down 'C' immediately after the chime. Leave Installer and go to Utilities > Disk Utility > Repair Disk and see what is reported.

Also provide operating system details with your post. Always helps as if you are running Lion you will not have a system disc but have to use Lion Recovery.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
jschackai

Thank you. It needed repair and did so in less than 10 minutes. Would it have said that the hard drive is faulty or soon to fail?
Merci beaucoup!!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Yes. it would have given a message in red in there was anything faulty. Now you can go to Disk Utility in Utilities in the Application Folder and run verify Disk and you will get a green message.

And my pleasure.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
jschackai

Ok, Harry, now it's been a few days, and this morning I noticed my Imac running very slow in acrobat, so I repaired permissions--27 minutes. I then used the install disk to check the condition of my hard drive, and it was fine. Should I start thinking about the other two possibilities?--that is, motherboard about to fail or faulty memory?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschackai View Post
Ok, Harry, now it's been a few days, and this morning I noticed my Imac running very slow in acrobat, so I repaired permissions--27 minutes. I then used the install disk to check the condition of my hard drive, and it was fine. Should I start thinking about the other two possibilities?--that is, motherboard about to fail or faulty memory?
- How much ram does the computer have?
- How full is the HD (how many gigs free)?
- How many applications do you usually have open at the same time?
- How many hours/day do you use your computer?
- Do you do a lot of gaming?

Nick

p.s. I will mention that it's very unlikely that the slowness or having to repair permissions a lot is related to the logic board or ram.

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
jschackai

8 GB Ram,
HD has 121 Gigs available.
I usually have (safari, mail, acrobat, iCal, iPhoto, vectorworks--six or seven, sometimes 8 apps open at the same time. When I see things slowing down, I often shut down all the apps I have open, except for the needed one, but I see no difference.
Sometimes I use the computer six or less hours per day(I have a MacBook Pro that I use a lot too).
I do no gaming whatsoever.
Your question about how many apps are open at one time may be right on target. I have always had many apps open simultaneously. Maybe I should use this computer for only two apps at a time: vectorworks (CAD program with sometimes 25 mb files) and iPhoto; or vectorworks and adobe acrobat; or vectorworks and preview; or vectorworks and safari.
John
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschackai View Post
8 GB Ram,
HD has 121 Gigs available.
I usually have (safari, mail, acrobat, iCal, iPhoto, vectorworks--six or seven, sometimes 8 apps open at the same time. When I see things slowing down, I often shut down all the apps I have open, except for the needed one, but I see no difference.
Sometimes I use the computer six or less hours per day(I have a MacBook Pro that I use a lot too).
I do no gaming whatsoever.
Your question about how many apps are open at one time may be right on target. I have always had many apps open simultaneously. Maybe I should use this computer for only two apps at a time: vectorworks (CAD program with sometimes 25 mb files) and iPhoto; or vectorworks and adobe acrobat; or vectorworks and preview; or vectorworks and safari.
John
With 8 gig of ram (more than the average user)...I usually wouldn't be too worried that you have 8 apps open at the same time. But that CAD program, the large files you're working with, and a lot of reading/writing to the HD may be the source of slow-downs & the frequent permissions repairing.

A better way to "manage" what's going on is to use the program "Activity Monitor" (in the utilities folder). It shows you how your ram is being used, amongst other things.

Read the "beachballs" link in my signature...and all the links included in that posting...and it may help you understand things...give you a better way to manage the situation.

Pay very close attention to the "page-outs" and "swap file" size. When you restart the computer...the value for these two parameters should be zero...and stay zero for a long time...but eventually they will start to grow in size. When they get large enough...things will start to slow down.

It's sort of a complex topic...hopefully the links help. The main thing to remember is...if you notice the computer getting slow...quit all the applications...and restart the computer (also repairing permissions occasionally).

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
jschackai

NIck, thanks a bunch. Now i know a little bit more. I put Activity Monitor into the startup items (folder) so I can monitor.
John
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Where to find MB#### Number?? | How much useful life left in a G5 iMac? »