New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Using a keyboard & mouse for both Mac and PC

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rizzonjig

Ok next question is once I get a Mac I want to use a KDM (KVM) Switch on my Mac and PC so that way I could use one mouse and one keyboard for both is this possible?.. Is there an adapter that I could use to do this or does any one have any other great ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
inflexion

inflexion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle

a KDM will work fine no need to worry one bit

Apple, think different
QUOTE Thanks
rizzonjig

Ok, is there any Specific or Special KDM (KVM) Switch that I would have to have for this?
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

If it's USB you should have no problem, althogh PS2 shouldn't matter either, as long as your Mac has a PS2 port for the mouse.. I'd suggest getting a USB KVM switch.. I've used a KVM with a wintel pc and a G3 iMac and it worked great.
QUOTE Thanks
JunMacTech

Any PS2 KVM will work if you purchase a PS2 to USB adapter for each mac on the switch. They are dirt cheap, like 5 dollars.

works like a charm
QUOTE Thanks
hondagus87

hondagus87 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: New MACBOOK

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817107129

I have that one hooked up to a windows xp computer, and my macmini, and it works awesome. It is small, so it takes up less space, and the cables that come with it, are nice quality.
QUOTE Thanks
zeta101

zeta101 has a spectacular aura about

An alternative to buying a KVM is to use this software (free) called synergy:

http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/

Basically, you install it on your PC and on you Mac, and then you need to make a simple network between the two (you Mac will be network ready, and you can buy a cheap network pci card for the PC and an ethernet cable).

The software lets you move you mouse between the two screens and whenever the mouse is on a certain screen the keyboard will send the keystrokes to that computer, you can even copy and paste between the computers. A lot more elegant than a KVM switch (the only time you really use a KVM is if you only have one monitor and two computers).
QUOTE Thanks
timswim78

timswim78 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Powermac Dual G4 1.25 Ghz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunMacTech
Any PS2 KVM will work if you purchase a PS2 to USB adapter for each mac on the switch. They are dirt cheap, like 5 dollars.

works like a charm

I bought this one, and it works great with a PS2 KVM and the USB port on a G4.
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...&cpc=SCH&srm=0
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeta101
An alternative to buying a KVM is to use this software (free) called synergy:

http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/

Basically, you install it on your PC and on you Mac, and then you need to make a simple network between the two (you Mac will be network ready, and you can buy a cheap network pci card for the PC and an ethernet cable).

The software lets you move you mouse between the two screens and whenever the mouse is on a certain screen the keyboard will send the keystrokes to that computer, you can even copy and paste between the computers. A lot more elegant than a KVM switch (the only time you really use a KVM is if you only have one monitor and two computers).
That looks pretty cool.. i think i might have to try that..

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
Thad

Thad is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13' MacBook 2.2Ghz 1Gb Ram 120Gb ,iMac G3 CRT 600 Mhz 512 Ram 60Gb Broken iBook G4, stolen Nano

if im using a apple keyboard will the kvm carry the extra usb signal
this is the last question i need to answer before commiting to a kvm and purchasing a mighty mouse

Thanks
:mac:
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New HD in B&W G3 | I want to get a better video card..suggestions? »