New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

screen is jumping around at random

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lacanian

lacanian is on a distinguished road

My iMac (OS10.6.8) screen keeps jumping all over the desktop area, sometimes splitting in two, sometimes getting smaller, sometimes there is a blue border around the window I'm looking at. At times, this dance of the screen is so frantic that I'm unable to work.

Nobody seems to know anything about this problem. The people at the Apple Store gave my iMac a "stress test" and held it there for a day or so, and said they could find nothing wrong with the machine. The Apple Care phone answerer said she had never heard of such a problem.

Is anyone out there in the Forum who has heard of this issue?
QUOTE Thanks
Brynnae

Brynnae is on a distinguished road

It might be power problem or cable problem harassing you. If they had suggested then there should be some internal problem otherwise they won't face the problem you are facing.
QUOTE Thanks
lacanian

Hi Brynnae--

Thanks for your reply. I'll call the cable company and asj them about the problem-unless, as you suggested--they don't want to face it.
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

Not about your Cable (internet) company - he meant your internal video cable.
Try using Apple Hardware Test to test your Mac:
Intel-based Macs: Using Apple Hardware Test
QUOTE Thanks
lacanian

Thanks a lot, gsahli; I followed your advice and performed the Apple Hardware Test. Extended testing said there was nothing wrong with my iMac hardware.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacanian View Post
My iMac (OS10.6.8) screen keeps jumping all over the desktop area, sometimes splitting in two, sometimes getting smaller, sometimes there is a blue border around the window I'm looking at. At times, this dance of the screen is so frantic that I'm unable to work.
It sounds to me like you (or your cat*) has turned on Universal Access items.

Go into Universal Access and UNCHECK the "Enable Access for Assistive Devices" checkbox at the bottom, and review the settings to disable anything not intended.

(cats somehow manage to walk/sit on the keys needed to invoke these commands)
QUOTE Thanks
Brynnae

Quote:
Thanks a lot, gsahli; I followed your advice and performed the Apple Hardware Test. Extended testing said there was nothing wrong with my iMac hardware.
Can you please share the steps you followed, I also want to Test my iMac. I am facing some problem since last few days. Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
lacanian

Hi Brynnae--

In Finder, I located the Apple Hardware Test, and it said to turn off the Mac, then press down "D" as the computer turns on again, and the test screen will appear.
QUOTE Thanks
lacanian

Hi chas_m:

Brilliant little manual, and many thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
berneroverland

berneroverland is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Nobody seems to know anything about this problem. The people at the Apple Store gave my iMac a "stress test" and held it there for a day or so, and said they could find nothing wrong with the machine. The Apple Care phone answerer said she had never heard of such a problem.

Is anyone out there in the Forum who has heard of this issue?
Hi,
My 2009 imac has just started doing the same, it started yesterday, i cannot do anything with it now, and using my old Dell laptop, ive got 3 yrs apple cover and calling in the morning, it just so strange how its just started.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

System Preferences, Universal Access. Turn everything off.
QUOTE Thanks
Brynnae

Quote:
Hi Brynnae--

In Finder, I located the Apple Hardware Test, and it said to turn off the Mac, then press down "D" as the computer turns on again, and the test screen will appear.
Hie Lacanian,

Thanks a lot for sharing. I had also got test screen using this.
QUOTE Thanks
Diane_Houston

Diane_Houston is on a distinguished road

The various windows on my monitor were jumping around all over the place—my mail window, Safari, Firefox, even a Word document. I shut my iMac down. I then unplugged it from the power strip and plugged it directly into the wall socket.

When I turned it back on, the jumping screen problem was gone.

I hope this works for anyone else out there with this problem.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Looking at buying an iMac Core 2 Duo T5600 | IMAC squeaking »