New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Will this work? Laptop to desktop?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BenMacUK

BenMacUK is on a distinguished road

Hi All,

My much loved macbook has died

I've used it as my main machine for the past 5 years and would like to keep using the system..

If I clone the harddisk and stick it in my old Powermac G5 should it just boot straight away?

Alternatively if I add the harddisk as a slave into the machine could I just copy all the documents apps over and it will run as before?

Cheers for any advice in advance.

Ben
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMacUK View Post
Hi All,

My much loved macbook has died

I've used it as my main machine for the past 5 years and would like to keep using the system..
What's the matter with it?

Quote:
If I clone the harddisk and stick it in my old Powermac G5 should it just boot straight away?
It's unlikely. But really depends on which MacBook you had and which version of OSX was installed.

Quote:
Alternatively if I add the harddisk as a slave into the machine could I just copy all the documents apps over and it will run as before?
Assuming the hard disk from the MacBook is functional you could connect it in an enclosure or with a USB adapter and transfer the apps/documents over. Though some apps may or may not transfer depending on whether they are support by the OSX version on the powermac

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

A drive from the same computer - with the same architecture is bootable - but I doubt you could do the same with a different computer and different architecture. I.E. - I pulled the drive out of my Macbook Pro, put it in an enclosure. If I hit option when booting with that drive connected to my Macbook pro - it shows up as a boot partition. I booted lepoard from that old drive just fine. I doubt I could just plug that into an iMac and have it boot as there would be different drivers - but I've never tried it.

Since you didn't say exactly what Macbook you have - Mactracker shows all Macbooks as Intel type computers - therefore I would say you couldn't boot an intel installed disk with a G5 powerpc computer.

You should be able to see the data on the disk though.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac onboard audio | PPC G5 and a new 3Tb Seagate »