Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Apple Desktops (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-desktops/)
-   -   MDD Processor upgrade? (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-desktops/275278-mdd-processor-upgrade.html)

Familyguy9877 05-20-2012 02:20 PM

MDD Processor upgrade?
 
I have an MDD dual 1GHz, I am wondering if I could install a processor from a FW 800 model (1.25 DP) into this machine. I am almost positive thye both have the same bus speed (167MHz). also would the 1.0DP heat sync be good enough? I only want to do this because the dual 1.25 is like $15 on ebay and it would be a fun upgrade.

pigoo3 05-20-2012 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Familyguy9877 (Post 1407073)
I only want to do this because the dual 1.25 is like $15 on ebay and it would be a fun upgrade.

Not a lot of folks trying this sort of thing...so probably not much info out there on it. But if it's only $15...roll the dice...and do it.:)

- Nick

Familyguy9877 05-20-2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pigoo3 (Post 1407081)
Not a lot of folks trying this sort of thing...so probably not much info out there on it. But if it's only $15...roll the dice...and do it.:)

- Nick


I just want to be sure that im not going to fry anything in the process.

harryb2448 05-20-2012 05:36 PM

The FW800 model uses a different mother board so you will be risking the machine for a minimal gain.

Familyguy9877 05-20-2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harryb2448 (Post 1407144)
The FW800 model uses a different mother board so you will be risking the machine for a minimal gain.

I probably wont since no one really knows if it could damage the machine.

harryb2448 05-20-2012 06:12 PM

Have a read of this link and you would need to be 100% sure the to models have the same system bus speed.

https://discussions.apple.com/messag...44060?tstart=0

Familyguy9877 05-20-2012 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harryb2448 (Post 1407160)
Have a read of this link and you would need to be 100% sure the to models have the same system bus speed.

https://discussions.apple.com/messag...44060?tstart=0

"167 MHz Bus speed:
1.0 GHz dual w 1 MB cache (each processor) from Fw 400 model
1.25 GHz dual w 2 MB cache (each processor) from Fw 400 model
1.25 GHz dual w 1 MB cache (each processor) from Fw 800 model
1.42 GHz dual w 2 MB cache (each processor) from Fw 800 model
1.25 GHz single w 1 MB cache from "education only" 2003 model"

This is the info I need, 1GHz dual with 1Mb cache (My Factory MDD) and both 1.25 Dual processors have a 167MHz bus.
with the same bus speed and the same overall processor it should work just fine.
Am I right?

Familyguy9877 05-20-2012 06:59 PM

I just came across a problem, as mentioned by the guy in the post you recommended some processors have 2 coils and some have 3, my MDD has only two, thus only room for two.
the only processor I could find cheaply has three coils and wouldn't work without a heat sink swap, my final problem, I do not have a different heat sink.

This makes me think though, I wonder if you could cut off a very small piece of the existing heat sink to make it fit on a processor with 3 coils?

Familyguy9877 05-20-2012 07:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Picture of my MDD heat sync

Familyguy9877 05-20-2012 07:06 PM

Sorry about the HUGE size

harryb2448 05-20-2012 07:56 PM

I would leave it be as they are different sizes.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.