New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

mac mini use to stream internet content to HDTV?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mkatz

mkatz is on a distinguished road

I'm hoping to set up a simple HDTV setup for a second bedroom in which I do not have access to a cable jack. I do have a strong, relatively fast (20Mbs) WiFi signal. What do I need to stream content (e.g. Netflix, Hulu, Youtube...) to a 1080P HDTV (LED, 40-46").

I've not yet purchased any components. I suspect options include use of a mac mini, appleTV, HDTV. Would use of a "smart" HDTV help or be preferred? Money is not a major concern.

Running cables through walls is infeasible. All suggestions appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

You can get Netflix and YouTube on AppleTV, connect to the TV with HDMI, connect to you're wifi. Job done.

If you want Hulu you'll have to consider jailbreaking if you go down the AppleTV route. While do-able this adds a level of complexity.

In this case, perhaps consider a ROKU box - Same story as far as connectivity goes but native support for Netflix, youtube and hulu/hulu plus.

As far as a Mac Mini goes it'll do all you need and more but doesn't have the instant on simplicity that a dedicated solution like the ROKU or AppleTV has. It does have flexibility and power on it's side. You have a full blown desktop OS at your disposal so browsing, watching video, email etc etc is all there.

All comes down to what you want. We don't have such a wide range of streaming video providers in the UK so the AppleTV choice was a no brainer for me. And I know it needs no messing about with for the family to use. Just a simply remote, easy on, easy to use.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
indychris

indychris will become famous soon enough

I have two TV's connected to Mac Minis. For each I have a bluetooth keyboard and trackpad connected with this:

Amazon.com: Twelve South (12-1101) MagicWand Connects Magic Track Pad to Wireless Keyboard: Electronics

Admittedly, the $29.99 price tag for this imported plastic tube is absurd, but it does what it is supposed to and it actually does it pretty well.

I have and Elgato EyeTV unit connected to each and use Hulu, Netflix, iTunes, etc. The system works very well, plus we can browse the web, check e-mail, etc. without having to pull open a separate computer.

If you ONLY want TV, honestly a Mac Mini might be a bit overkill, and many have complained about the lack of BluRay on the mini, but for me it does exactly what I want and I wouldn't want anything else.
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

I have a MacMini hooked up to my main TV (65" 1080P HDTV) in my living room. I have all my iTunes media on it and Home Sharing set up and working and am able to stream to any Apple device in my house (MacBook Pro, iPad, iPhone). Control everything through my Logitech Harmony One remote.

In my bedroom, I have a 27" 720P HDTV hooked up to an Apple TV2. I can stream everything from iTunes, NetFlix and more.

As my main computer is my MacBook Pro, I dont care about surfing on the Mini or anything outside of Media Center applications. Since my entire DVD collection of Movies and Shows is in iTunes, I have a DVD player that is fairly worthless for anything but Blu-Rays.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« First upgrading project on g4 tower & macbookpro. All advice welcome. | Awesome Door Stop »