New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

First upgrading project on g4 tower & macbookpro. All advice welcome.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

SammyW

SammyW is on a distinguished road

Hiya

So basically I have an old macbookpro that I am gradually upgrading and got an even older mac g4 tower for free and want to see about the best way to upgrade that.

I want to know about upgrading processors as the old g4. What is compatible?

If I am upgrading the macbookpro how much of it can I then simply transfer across to the older machine?
QUOTE Thanks
festus12macfms

festus12macfms is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyW View Post
Hiya

So basically I have an old macbookpro that I am gradually upgrading and got an even older mac g4 tower for free and want to see about the best way to upgrade that.

I want to know about upgrading processors as the old g4. What is compatible?

If I am upgrading the macbookpro how much of it can I then simply transfer across to the older machine?
My Power Mac G-4 (10.4.11) has No audio in Mic input but there is audio input with web cam plugged into USB Port. Any ideals? Edwin Thoma; (816) 316-3762 (call or Tex).
QUOTE Thanks
festus12macfms

Check to see the possibilities of installing/programming a new/larger processor. Also, you can increase the RAM significantly. Go to YouTube & type in "Power Mac G-4 Upgrades" & a host of video's will be available.
QUOTE Thanks
SammyW

Quote:
Originally Posted by festus12macfms View Post
Check to see the possibilities of installing/programming a new/larger processor. Also, you can increase the RAM significantly. Go to YouTube & type in "Power Mac G-4 Upgrades" & a host of video's will be available.
I am gonna up the ram in my macbookpro to 4gb and put the 2gbs worth from it in the old g4.

The problem I am having with processors is that I don't know what will be compatible. :L
Whats the best one I can get that will work with it?
QUOTE Thanks
festus12macfms

Type "Sonnet Processor for Power Mac G-4" Into Search. Then, when on web page, put info of your Mac (model, OS, current processor speed, etc) and you will find results. Be sure to download instructions to ensure that you will feel comfortable you can do the job yourself.
What Mac do you have. A new (depending on processor) you purchase can be costly!
Edwin Thoma, Sr
816-316-3762
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

The cost of a G4 CPU upgrade will be equal to, or more than, the cost of a late model G5. If you are going to lash out your hard earned, really consider abandoning the G4 and look for a Core 2 Duo Intel machine such as an iMac. Better investment by far.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
SammyW

Looking into costs it looks like it isnt worth doing much with the g4 other than chuck some spare ram in.

Will use it for a bit of learning by taking apart and putting back together again. Seems to be all its good for really. (and maybe ubuntu later)

Thanks for the help everyone. x
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Power Mac G5 & SCSI Nikon Coolscan | mac mini use to stream internet content to HDTV? »