New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Aluminum iMac A1224 Blue Screen issue

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jnewman67

jnewman67 is on a distinguished road

Have an iMac that won't boot fully (visually anyway). Was working fine, then the issue started. Pulled the drive to recover some live files - drive was fine. When booting from the harddrive, the apple logo appears on the grey background, the spoked wheel spins, then the screen switches to a blue background, the mouse appears, then 20 minutes later, it goes to sleep. Pressing any key wakes it back up.

The problem is that after the blue background and mouse appear, i get no login screen, no desktop icons, no menu bar, no anything. The mouse moves and the system doesn't appear to be frozen.

Booting from a 10.5 or 10.6 install CD gets me EXACTLY the same thing.

Just for fun, I booted up from a Fedora 8 LiveCD, and I get the full deal - menus, internet, file system - fully functional, like nothing was wrong.

I booted into basic Single User mode, and ran FSCK - no problems, disc was clean. When I pushed it to run /etc/rc, it got to the point where it showed the network had been initialized, then hung. poking through the system logs, I can see that I have a login manager that starts up, then it has an ASIC LOG that starts after that point, it ENDS, then by the timestamps, 20 minutes later it goes to sleep.

Would really like to get this back to a usable state, but my poking around hasn't found anything that really behaves like this. I did try zapping the PRAM (4 chimes). I did try unplugging and holding the power button down to drain the motherboard.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
jnewman67

Anyone (bump)?
QUOTE Thanks
rabbitjetta

rabbitjetta is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Retina Pro, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPod touch 3-5, iMac 27

try a PRAM reset holding command+option+p+r at start up until you hear the chime 3 times
QUOTE Thanks
jnewman67

Thanks, but I already tried that (initial post). Does work for a lot of stuff though
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Beige Power Macintosh G3 Help | Serial-ATA in 27" iMac »