New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Oops, dropped memory card in the CD slot

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Bonglenn

Bonglenn is on a distinguished road

Oops, I just inserted my camera's memory card in the CD slot by mistake. My husband tried to pull it out but only pushed it in further, then he inserted a CD which probably pushed it in even more. I tried tipping the Mac on its side and gently shaking but it didn't come out. Can't see it, can't hear it rattling around. I do hear the computer trying to eject it. So we've unplugged the thing and will take it to the Apple store tomorrow. Anyone had this problem? What's the likely outcome and what's the worst case scenario?
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

Quote:
then he inserted a CD which probably pushed it in even more.
Not a good idea!

Most likely outcome, the Apple store should be able to remove it fairly easily, even if it requires some disassembling, it's unlikely that anything was actually damaged.

-Evan
QUOTE Thanks
SFBloodBrother

SFBloodBrother is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iPhone 3GS Black, Macbook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

I heard about people doing this, they always say, "Be careful when putting in the SD card so you don't put it in the wrong one."
It's fairly common. Apple store should get it out easily.
QUOTE Thanks
pakemann

pakemann is on a distinguished road

Just did the same thing, but got the card out myself.

Solution: Take a blank CD and break it in half. Now you have sort of a scoop you can safely use to reach inside the disc slot and scoop out the card. I figured I was least likely to damage the drive if I was using something designed to be in there in the first place.

Anyway good luck. Hope you can save a trip to the store.
QUOTE Thanks
pakemann

pakemann is on a distinguished road

Regarding my previous post:

I should be clear that I powered down the Mac first! The last thing I would want is the CD drive trying to grab a broken disc out of my hands.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« imac 27 inch i7 price? | Eratic Wireless Keyboard »