New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Which 21.5" iMac to purchase?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mchlr39

mchlr39 is on a distinguished road

I've had an eMac 700Mhz PowerPC G4, OSX 10.2.8 for about 9 years (yes, it's old) and due to grindingly slow Internet browser issues (I can't upgrade to newer browsers) among other things I'm ready to buy a new iMac.

The 21.5" model is what I have in mind, but there are 3 versions I can find and I'm not sure which one to choose. My main use for a new computer will be Internet browsing/watching media files, burning discs with iTunes and some word processing. Nothing fancy, in other words, but I have lots of music and other files saved on two external hard drives and want to be able to upload at least some to the new machine.

Any recommendations among the 3 to buy, or warnings about issues that would cause me NOT to purchase one? Thanks!
  • 21.5" iMac - 4GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive Model: MC812LL/A; Best Buy price: $1,500
  • 21.5" iMac - 4GB Memory - 500GB Hard Drive Model: MC309LL/A; Best Buy price: $1,200
  • 21.5" iMac® - 8GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive Model: A1311; Best Buy price: $1,900
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

For your needs, the $1200 iMac would suffice. You can always upgrade the memory yourself later on if you choose. Also a 500 GB hard drive should be OK for you. Keep your music and photos backed up on the external and only load what you really need on the internal hard drive.

Now, having said the above, new iMacs are destined to be released soon. How soon? Rumor has it in June. So if I were you, hold on to the eMac for another month or two and see what the new models will have to offer before you buy. And, if possible, buy from an Apple store not Best Buy.
QUOTE Thanks
mchlr39

mchlr39 is on a distinguished road

Thanks! I bought my current one at Comp USA...that gives you an indication of how old it is! Out of curiosity, why buy a new one at an Apple Store?
QUOTE Thanks
Krzykat

Krzykat is on a distinguished road

Bought my iMac last year at the Apple store. The Apple store staff was very nice-- allowed me to play with the various machines as I made up my mind (it was my first Mac). Once you make a purchase, they take you and your new Mac to a counter and the Genius unpacks the box, shows you how to hook up the computer, and then sets up the Mac for you--- gets your e-mail set up and allows you to play while you are there so you can get any questions answered before you get home.

I was debating between making the purchase at Best Buy or the Apple store, the machine was the same price bother places, and I could finance the Mac for 18 months at Best Buy as compared to 12 months at Apple, but I chose the Apple store because they were very knowledgable and helpful. They took good care of me and explained everything including Applecare and classes, etc. Happy I chose to purchase at the Applestore.
QUOTE Thanks
Ttaylor394

Ttaylor394 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: '10 21.5iMac self update-1TB 16GB-'12 MBP13 self update 1TB 16gb-32GB&16gb iphones-32GB iPad,

Any of those comps will work for you, buy the most/best you can afford.

I have only recently been to an apple store and loved it. Best buy employees probably won't be as jovial as apple employees would be. Take that for what it's worth.

Let us know what you get.

21.5"iMac i3 3.06:running 10.7  500GB HD  16GB DDR3  Magic Trackpad  Black iPhone4 32GB  White iPhone4 16GB  Apple Extreme Airport Base Station 
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Even better is to purchase from Apple Online a refurbished iMac. It will come with full warranty and option to take out AppleCare, OS etc. and be much cheaper. With free delivery thrown in:-

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Brynnae

Brynnae is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchlr39 View Post
I've had an eMac 700Mhz PowerPC G4, OSX 10.2.8 for about 9 years (yes, it's old) and due to grindingly slow Internet browser issues (I can't upgrade to newer browsers) among other things I'm ready to buy a new iMac.

The 21.5" model is what I have in mind, but there are 3 versions I can find and I'm not sure which one to choose. My main use for a new computer will be Internet browsing/watching media files, burning discs with iTunes and some word processing. Nothing fancy, in other words, but I have lots of music and other files saved on two external hard drives and want to be able to upload at least some to the new machine.

Any recommendations among the 3 to buy, or warnings about issues that would cause me NOT to purchase one? Thanks!
  • 21.5" iMac - 4GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive Model: MC812LL/A; Best Buy price: $1,500
  • 21.5" iMac - 4GB Memory - 500GB Hard Drive Model: MC309LL/A; Best Buy price: $1,200
  • 21.5" iMac® - 8GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive Model: A1311; Best Buy price: $1,900
What the purpose you need this? If for general purpose then you can go for first one. And for some specific purpose and faster processing you can go for last.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Gray Screen on bootup - 2005 iMac | Where to find MB#### Number?? »