New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

My iMac Won't Turn On And Continuously Beeps

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

arcticnic

arcticnic is on a distinguished road

Hi, i tried turning on my iMac an hour ago and it whirred up with a black screen while beeping continuously, each beep an equal distance apart. I tried counting the beeps a few times and they don't seem to stop (I counted up to about 30 before i decided to stop, they kept going!)
I've read a few forum posts, and other things related on the internet, but no-one has a problem with continuous beeping. I don't know how to open up my mac book and replace RAM, or anything of the sorts.
Thanks, Nicolas
QUOTE Thanks
Sketch.

Sketch. is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" 2.5GHz i5, 4GB, 1TB

According to another website this COULD be a RAM failure... Have you recently upgraded your RAM or Removed it at any point?

This seemed to help the other guy out:

SMC RESET
Shut down the computer.
Unplug the computer's power cord and all peripherals.
Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
Release the power button.
Attach the computers power cable.
Press the power button to turn on the computer.

PRAM RESET
Shut down the computer.
Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
Turn on the computer.
Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
Release the keys.

Hope this helps you!

Source: https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

I thought I wanted a career, turns out I just wanted paychecks.
QUOTE Thanks
arcticnic

Thanks Sketch, I will try both methods you suggested and will let you know what happens. I've also read elsewhere about the RAM failure but that is usually associated with 3 beeps or SOS beeps (3 short, 3 long then 3 short).
Nicolas
QUOTE Thanks
arcticnic

Hi, Sketch
I have tried both of the methods you have posted, sadly, neither of them work. I have never personally touched the RAM (or upgraded it). Although I did get my imac second hand so it may have been upgraded by the previous owner. Would that be in any relation to this problem?
Nicolas
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticnic View Post
Hi, i tried turning on my iMac an hour ago and it whirred up with a black screen while beeping continuously, each beep an equal distance apart. I tried counting the beeps a few times and they don't seem to stop (I counted up to about 30 before i decided to stop, they kept going!)
I've read a few forum posts, and other things related on the internet, but no-one has a problem with continuous beeping. I don't know how to open up my mac book and replace RAM, or anything of the sorts.
Thanks, Nicolas
The beeping problem many times has to do with the ram (either ram has gone bad...or the computer has incompatible ram in it). Please read the link below:

Macintosh Beep Codes

There is no such thing as "continuous beeps". You either get 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 beeps...you're just not hearing the gap/pause correctly between the repeating of the set of beeps.

If it is ram related...you need to know how to get at your ram. Go to iFixit.com...they have DIY instructions.

HTH,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
arcticnic

Hi Nick,
I dont hear any pattern in the beeping but there is a 5 second gap between each beep. Would that count as the 1 beep problem?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hi Nick,
I dont hear any pattern in the beeping but there is a 5 second gap between each beep. Would that count as the 1 beep problem?
If there's a 5 second gap...then I would say yes...that's probably the 1 beep message.

1 beep = no ram installed or detected.

This would certainly be "odd"...assuming you do have ram installed. It could also mean that the ram is not installed correctly (maybe the ram got dislodged somehow).

- Have you had this computer since it was new...and if so...have you done anything with the ram since buying it?
- If you bought this iMac used...how long have you had it...and how long has it been working ok?

In either case...I would remove all ram..and reinstall it to be sure it is seated properly.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
arcticnic

Thanks Nick,
I bought it second hand and had it for about 2 years (approx.) I have never touched the ram and will definitely try taking it out and putting it back in.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Thanks Nick,
I bought it second hand and had it for about 2 years (approx.) I have never touched the ram and will definitely try taking it out and putting it back in.
This is the simplest, easiest, quickest, and cheapest thing to try (taking out & then reinstalling the ram).

If this computer has been working ok for 2 years...then it probably had the correct ram installed in it. If this idea doesn't solve things...then it would probably be helpful to know what exact iMac model you have.

Many older iMacs have 2 ram slots...newer iMacs have 4. I'm guessing your iMac has 2 ram slots...so your iMac would have either 1 or 2 sticks of ram in it. If it has two sticks of ram in it...then one of the sticks could be bad...so the next step would be to only run the computer with 1 stick of ram. Try "stick A" only...then "Stick B" only...to see if only one stick is bad.

Good luck,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
This is the simplest, easiest, quickest, and cheapest thing to try (taking out & then reinstalling the ram).

If this computer has been working ok for 2 years...then it probably had the correct ram installed in it. If this idea doesn't solve things...then it would probably be helpful to know what exact iMac model you have.

Many older iMacs have 2 ram slots...newer iMacs have 4. I'm guessing your iMac has 2 ram slots...so your iMac would have either 1 or 2 sticks of ram in it. If it has two sticks of ram in it...then one of the sticks could be bad...so the next step would be to only run the computer with 1 stick of ram. Try "stick A" only...then "Stick B" only...to see if only one stick is bad.

Good luck,

- Nick
Also if there are multiple RAM slots and only 1 slot being used.. The currently used RAM slot could be bad.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
arcticnic

Quote:

Good luck,

- Nick
Will I have lost all my data if my computer turns on after I reinstall the RAM? I haven't quite done it yet, my friend says i need to hold a metal plate before i touch anything, is that correct, or is he just talking about older iMacs (my iMac is Intel based)
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Will I have lost all my data if my computer turns on after I reinstall the RAM?
No you won't lose your data...your data is stored on the hard drive.

Quote:
I haven't quite done it yet, my friend says i need to hold a metal plate before i touch anything, is that correct, or is he just talking about older iMacs (my iMac is Intel based)
Have you gone to the website I linked earlier on how to access the ram? It should mention's this. You have to release any static electricity from your body before opening things up...and NOT moving around after.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
arcticnic

Thanks to all who gave me advice and helped, my iMac is now fixed, all I had to do was re-insert the RAM, it seemed as though one of them had dismantled slightly.
Nicolas

Special thanks to Nick, you helped the most
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Thanks to all who gave me advice and helped, my iMac is now fixed, all I had to do was re-insert the RAM, it seemed as though one of them had dismantled slightly.
Always great to hear a "Happy Ending" (and a cheap easy fix as well!!!

Thanks for getting back to us.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
arcticnic

Quote:
Always great to hear a "Happy Ending" (and a cheap easy fix as well!!!

Thanks for getting back to us.

- Nick

Just when i thought things were all fine and dandy. My iMac was running fine all day (even better than usual). I put my iMac on sleep for a few minutes and when I came back, I tried turning it on again and now starts the "BEEP-BEEP-BEEP" The same as it was before.
I did what i did last time (Open the iMac from the bottom, take out the RAM chips and then re-insert them) but this time when i turned it on again it didn't get fixed, It started beeping again. I tried doing it again, but nothing changed.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Unable to burn on iMac | Another iMac power on issue. »