New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

what type of mac is this please?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mikehende

mikehende is on a distinguished road

I got this unit in an auction with other pcs but don't see any writing anywhere on it, can anyone tell me what model MAC this might be please also how I can test it? I only have a regular windows pc setup so would I need a special keyboard, mouse and monitor to work with this unit? Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20120511_130657.jpg (46.6 KB, 33 views)
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

It could be a Mac Pro or a Powermac G5. I'm pretty positive that it's a Powermac G5...due to the dual fans on the rear...but if you gave us a photo of the front that would help.

Basically...if it has one optical drive slot in the front...it's a PM G5. If it has two optical drive slots/openings...then it's a Mac Pro.

From the photo of the rear...it appears NOT to have a video card. So you will not really be able to do any testing until it has one.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
mikehende

Oh, I thought that was the front, here's a pic from the other side:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20120511_130716.jpg (59.3 KB, 32 views)
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the front photo...definitely a PM G5.

Like I mentioned...I think that it's missing a video card (rear photo). You may want to check the inside as well. Sometimes all the ram & HD's are removed.

FYI...not sure how much you paid for it...but some of these PM G5's in 100% operating condition sell for as little as $100 on e-Bay...and more commonly sell for $150-$175.

A video card (if you need one)...may run you $50 to $75...and if it needs ram & an HD...that's going to run you more $$$ (ram isn't cheap for these). So as you can see...it won't take long to exceed what these sell for on e-Bay.

Even if you got this PM G5 for free (at the auction)...which I'm assuming you didn't. If you need everything I mentioned...it's may not be worth trying to get it running (depending on the exact model it is).

- Nick

p.s. Hopefully it won't need everything I mentioned!

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
mikehende

actually I purchased HP desktops and the guy threw a few of these in just to get rid of them I guess because they are so big. Thanks for the info, that narrows it down, would I need Mac-specific KB, mouse and Monitor to test these units?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehende View Post
actually I purchased HP desktops and the guy threw a few of these in just to get rid of them I guess because they are so big. Thanks for the info, that narrows it down, would I need Mac-specific KB, mouse and Monitor to test these units?
Ahh I see. Sounds like you got a decent deal if they were just "thrown in"...I would have liked to have gotten them that way!

As long as the keyboards & mice are USB...they should work. Monitors are no problem either. Most of the video cards for PM G5's have either ADC & DVI ports...or two DVI. You probably won't be able to deal with the ADC port...but the DVI (as you know) should be no problem.

If you find more out about these PM G5's...let us know (what you think of them & what parts were/are missing).

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
mikehende

You are correct, the video card is missing on the one in the pic but at least one of the others have the card with the 2 DVI ports, I will test them over the weekend, get back to you, thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
You are correct, the video card is missing on the one in the pic but at least one of the others have the card with the 2 DVI ports, I will test them over the weekend, get back to you, thanks.
That's awesome...the video card probably would have been the biggest hurdle. Since you probably do this sort of thing all the time...getting a few of them hopefully will allow you to do some "mix & matching"...and at least get one working (hopefully they came with ram)...and any old SATA HD will be fine if the PM G5's didn't come with one.

Good luck,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
mikehende

I have only IDE drives but I can get SATA cheap on ebay to test, what's bugging me is why the need to make this system that big?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
I have only IDE drives but I can get SATA cheap on ebay to test, what's bugging me is why the need to make this system that big?
PM G5's are the same size as Mac Pro's (if you're familiar with Mac Pro's). Basically (back in the day) PM G5's were the "Mac Pro's" of that time.

The size...is mostly for expandability:

- 4 PCI, PCI-x, or PCI-e slots
- PM G5's may only have 1 optical drive slot, Mac Pro's have two.
- up to 8 ram slots
- room for dual cpu's, and the big heat sinks to go with them
- two internal HD slots

PM G5's also were hard to cool (they had 9 fan's & 4 thermal zones). If you take the metal side panel off...the first thing you see is a large polycarbonate (plastic) insert which helps to funnel the cooling air to the right places (and this needs to be removed to access the inside).

Finally...if you cannot locate the power supply...it's in the bottom of the case. Most of the innards need to be removed to remove/replace the power supply (if necessary).

I'm thinking these are reasons for the big case...maybe size makes them look powerful as well!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Locating which drive in which bay on quad core. | taking G4 tower and upgrading internals »