MPB 2.2 Intel Core Duo 2gb Ram - G5 Tower PPC - iPhone 4 - 2x3GHZ 12gb Ram MacPro Tower, ATV2
    taking G4 tower and upgrading internals

I have the nice silver G4 towers that was once a decent editing and photoshop system. Now its unable to do any of that! But **** if it doesn't look good!

I always like to tinker with stuff but before I get going I was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to upgrade the insides of a G4 to a G5?

i.e new motherboard and chipset etc

Would obviously need to do this with spares and repairs from ebay etc but was wondering if it's actually possible!

MacBookPro - 2.2 15" - Mac Mini - 2.5 2009 -MacPro Tower 2 x 3 Quad Core (Work) - iPhone 4 - iPad2, 2x Apple TV

Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
    It would be cheaper just to buy a G5 tower, they go pretty cheap on ebay
    Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system

Reading, UK
    15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
    I am doing a similar project with a G5 case - though Im putting PC parts in it.

the motherboard of a G5 is big - and i doubt it would fit inside the case of a G4. Plus you'd have to slice the case up in order to get all the ports coming out at the correct place.

Also youd have to find a place for all those fans aswell.
    If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
    Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth

2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by newby View Post

I always like to tinker with stuff but before I get going I was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to upgrade the insides of a G4 to a G5?

i.e new motherboard and chipset etc
    Not possible...simply because a a G5 logic board (and power supply) won't fit in a Powermac G4 case (directly). Now possibly (with some serious modification)...maybe you could get it to work.

What you may also not realize is that the Powermac G5's:

- cpu's & heatsinks are huge
    - have 4 computer controlled thermal zones
    - have 9 fans

Basically...the Powermac G5 case is not huge for for nothing!

Apple does not design their computers to be upgraded or tinkered-with in this manner. Not that they do this on's just not the "Apple-Way".

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Nambucca Heads Australia
    iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.11.1.
    And upgrading to a G5 if it were possible is just not practical. Support for PowerPC programs from the G4/G5 days is finished. Better to look for a Core 2 Duo 64bit EFI model.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Thread Information