Exclamation HELP! Trying to update firmware! And locked out of ADMIN
    I have an old iMac G3 slot loading running on OS 9.2. I do not have the admin password or access. I am trying to update the firmware so I can update the OS however it was previously a school computer and is extremely locked down. I do have access to the general account but there's not much available on that. I have the firmware updates on CD. There is no open firmware password. When I try to enter the command terminal or single user mode - I cannot. I boot up holding "apple" + S but it just boots up like normal. How can I fix this? Either by getting into SUM or the command terminal or any other way of being allowed to update the firmware so I can install the new OS!! Thanks!

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    It sure sounds like that machine has a firmware password locking it down. Are you sure it doesn't have one?

Yes, I booted to openfirmware and entered "setenv security-mode none" and that worked fine. Before that I even set my own password. But if you have any ideas. . . I'm open.

Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 5K, 512GB Flash Storage, 3.3Ghz, 16GB memory, OS X.11.5.
    Have a look at this link and check again it is not firmware password protected as chscag suggested. Scroll down until you see the padlock. Was used in a great many schools as an anti-theft protection measure.

Setting up firmware password protection in Mac OS X
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Following the link, that webpage states that it "Requires the password to use the Startup Manager, accessed by pressing the Option key during startup (see below)" but when I use the Option Key I can access that page and change the startup without a password. Also, most of that page is for OS X . . . I will try setting the password myself and see but how can I use it to change the Admin password? Someone else on a diff. forum mentioned that OS 9 doesn't have SUM or a command terminal? Is that correct?

Thread Information