New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

HELP! Trying to update firmware! And locked out of ADMIN

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nerd1990

nerd1990 is on a distinguished road

I have an old iMac G3 slot loading running on OS 9.2. I do not have the admin password or access. I am trying to update the firmware so I can update the OS however it was previously a school computer and is extremely locked down. I do have access to the general account but there's not much available on that. I have the firmware updates on CD. There is no open firmware password. When I try to enter the command terminal or single user mode - I cannot. I boot up holding "apple" + S but it just boots up like normal. How can I fix this? Either by getting into SUM or the command terminal or any other way of being allowed to update the firmware so I can install the new OS!! Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

It sure sounds like that machine has a firmware password locking it down. Are you sure it doesn't have one?
QUOTE Thanks
nerd1990

Yes, I booted to openfirmware and entered "setenv security-mode none" and that worked fine. Before that I even set my own password. But if you have any ideas. . . I'm open.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Have a look at this link and check again it is not firmware password protected as chscag suggested. Scroll down until you see the padlock. Was used in a great many schools as an anti-theft protection measure.

Setting up firmware password protection in Mac OS X

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
nerd1990

Following the link, that webpage states that it "Requires the password to use the Startup Manager, accessed by pressing the Option key during startup (see below)" but when I use the Option Key I can access that page and change the startup without a password. Also, most of that page is for OS X . . . I will try setting the password myself and see but how can I use it to change the Admin password? Someone else on a diff. forum mentioned that OS 9 doesn't have SUM or a command terminal? Is that correct?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iSight Camera on the Fritz | Crucial vs. Samsung »