New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Is the Thunderbolt Display different size than 27" iMac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Lastmboy

Lastmboy will become famous soon enough

Hey, there. I was just in at BestBuy today and was chatting with the Apple rep. I'm thinking of getting a 27" iMac along with the 27" thunderbolt display to have dual displays. I know they are designed a bit different and the TBD is a bit shorter than the iMac, but I assumed I could put something under the stand to make them the same height. However, the Apple rep told me that they don't work well together, as the TBD screen actually has different dimensions than the iMac.

I'm a bit confused, as I looked up the specs and they are both the same width (65 cm) and are the same resolution (2560x1440), so how much different could they be? He said the TBD is the "widescreen" model, whereas the iMac is not. If they are the same resolution and same width, then the pixels would have to be awfully funny shaped to support what he's saying. Is he smoking something illegal, or am I missing something?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Is he smoking something illegal, or am I missing something?
If he's an Apple rep working in Best Buy..... enough said. The displays are the same as you have already noticed. They would go well together. As for the height, I believe there is a way to extend it but it requires disassembling the display in order to do it. I'm not sure I would want to disassemble a $999 display!

By the way, B&H Photo (an authorized Apple dealer in NYC) has the same display for $929 including free shipping.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
If he's an Apple rep working in Best Buy..... enough said.
Ha ha...I was thinking the same thing. Especially with the closing of some Best Buy stores (and maybe more to come)...moral & customer service may be suffering.

I agree...the two displays should & seem to be the same (27" and same resolution)...just need to figure out the height issue.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
By the way, B&H Photo (an authorized Apple dealer in NYC) has the same display for $929 including free shipping.
Good deal, GREAT company to deal with. I've been a B&H fan for years, since I would wander into their B&M

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
Lastmboy

Thanks, guys. Good to clear that up, and I'll definitely check out B&H. Most people think I'm nuts to setup up two 27" displays, but I have two 24" ones now and just love it. I figure two 27" ones will be even better. They're IPS panels, so should look the same from every angle, right? I just like having everything open at once, rather than flipping between windows all the time.

As for BestBuy, it's kind of scary, but I think I know more about Mac products than they do, and I don't own one yet I wish we had an Apple store here.
QUOTE Thanks
Lastmboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
...just need to figure out the height issue.
I'm kind of surprised that Apple made them different heights, but I guess at the time dual displays wasn't very common. I'm thinking they need to market a little slab of aluminum on the App Store that is just the right height
QUOTE Thanks
Lastmboy

Quote:
If he's an Apple rep working in Best Buy..... enough said.
I'm still arguing with that guy in BestBuy. I need to take a tape measure in sometime. I tried to show him that the iMac display is the same as the Thunderbolt display, but with the chin added on the bottom. He remains adamant that they are both completely different shapes - that the TBD is shorter and wider, even though they are the same resolution. I suggested that the the pixels must be really strange shaped, but he didn't see the issue. Sigh...

27" iMac 3.4GHz I7, Mac Pro, Mac Mini, iPad Air, iPhone 5S, Apple TV (3rd generation), iPod Classic
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Here's a side by side of someones TBD + iMac 27" - they are using a stand under the TBD to raise it, still off a bit but much closer then without.

Dual monitors: 27" iMac and 27" Thunderbolt Display - MacRumors Forums

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethfel View Post
Here's a side by side of someones TBD + iMac 27" - they are using a stand under the TBD to raise it, still off a bit but much closer then without.
That stand for the TBD almost looks purposefully designed for the purpose of making the tops of both displays line-up.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
Lastmboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethfel View Post
Thanks. The image you provided seems to confirm my point, that the actual usable screen area is still identical. The monitor case is obviously a bit different, but that doesn't have any bearing on the screen.

27" iMac 3.4GHz I7, Mac Pro, Mac Mini, iPad Air, iPhone 5S, Apple TV (3rd generation), iPod Classic
QUOTE Thanks
Lastmboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
That stand for the TBD almost looks purposefully designed for the purpose of making the tops of both displays line-up.

- Nick
That's what I was thinking. I had to go look it up to see if you can still buy them

QUOTE Thanks
Lastmboy

This likely isn't on anyone else's wishlist, but I'm kind of hoping that if/when a new iMac is announced, that it matches the TBD, or there is a new display introduced that matches it, or that a new iMac and a new display are introduced that match each other.

QUOTE Thanks
Lastmboy

For anyone still in doubt now that I own both the 27" iMac and the 27" Thunderbolt display, and have measured them, and ... {drum roll}...
I can confirm that the display area is identical in shape and size

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastmboy View Post
For anyone still in doubt now that I own both the 27" iMac and the 27" Thunderbolt display, and have measured them, and ... {drum roll}...
I can confirm that the display area is identical in shape and size
Case closed…good job!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Limited Dexterity in Hand..Which Mouse is Best? Voice Recognition? | Replace hard drive with one from External drive? »