used eMac won't turn on at all
    I picked up a 2002 eMac at a yard sale. It has no RAM (I'm hoping I have a stick or two that it'll accept), but my main problem is that it won't turn on. I've plugged it in using multiple cables and outlets that I know work, and it does nothing. The power button may be stuck - I'm not sure how much it should go in, but just the bottom half-ish of mine goes in very slghtly. I know it's receiving power, as when I plug it in, I can hear the fuzz of electricity in it (especially if I press an ear to the screen). I've tried the pmu reset button. Did I buy a 50 pound paperweight, or is there anything I can do?

Fort Worth, Texas
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    That's a very old machine (10 years old) and very likely has a bad power supply. Those machines were especially prone to bad power supplies, particularly the electrolytic capacitors.

If you would really like to dig in and repair it, go to iFixit: The free repair manual and look up the take apart instructions. Also keep in mind that the CRT monitor may not be working very well either. So unless you're prepared to spend some money on repairs, you might want to pass on it.

thanks. just looked and saw no teardown guides (I'll dig around elsewhere), but I did find out I'm missing my PRAM battery. I think I read somewhere that it'll boot without it, but that's one more thing to replace..

Modesto, Ca.
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7, iMac 2008 10.10.5, Macbook2007 10.7.5, Mac Mini 10.7.5, iPhone 3GS Note 8!
    Not sure about the Emac but I know some iMacs around that same vintage would NOT power on without the PRAM battery.

Alright, I'll try to pick up a PRAM battery soon and try it with that. Fairly sure I'd seen someone say they fixed an eMac using some process involving removing the PRAM battery, booting, then turning it off and putting the battery back, but that was for a different problem.

2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by guitargler View Post
    thanks. just looked and saw no teardown guides (I'll dig around elsewhere)...
    You NEED to look a bit harder! The link that "chscag" mentioned for DEFINITELY has install guides for the PRAM battery, ram, and Airport card.

Don't give up so easily!

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thread Information