eMac wireless connection mystery

I just bought a used eMac (700 MHz PowerPC G4, Nvidia GeForce2 MX, USB 1.1, 802.11b, running on OS X 10.47) for my kids, and have been trying to hook it up to my home wireless network (Linksys WRT54G router, running on mixed 802.11b & g, which already has my two MacBook Pros on it) without success. I have done hours of research into this (including searching this forum) but haven't hit upon a solution yet.

I began with the cheapest potential solution, which was to buy an Airport card for $10 off eBay, which was very easy to install. After making sure it was recognized by the eMac, I turned it on, and found my home network. I then tried to configure the network, but for whatever reason, when I type in my WPA password, it always says it's an "invalid password."

I tried turning off the security settings (though I have not idea why this would make any difference since WPA should be supported by my eMac) and the MAC filtering on the router, but no luck.

At this point, I would welcome any suggestions to try! Thanks in advance for your help.

Changing the WPA algorithms from AES to TKIP on the router setting did the trick. I have no idea what the differences are between these algorithms but who cares!

Nambucca Heads Australia
    iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.11.1.
    The eMac will have trouble to connecting to a WPA network, only the older, less secure, WEP.

The TKIP algorithm lowers the security to the eMac level. Have a read of this link. If you have a good strong password, say 13 digits both numeric and alphabetical, all should be well.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Thread Information