New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

upgrading mid 2010 mac mini processors?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nanospasm

nanospasm is on a distinguished road

Hi all, I am interested in upgrading my intel 2.4 to 2.6 . I think they are called p8600 and p8800 respectively. Im pretty sure it can be done but needed to double check a few times over to make sure before purchasing the p8800. I know its an option 'in shop' to upgrade so therefore I'm guessing that the chip is NOT soldered to the logic board. I have seen a few tear downs and the above seems true but I haven't found any conformation in black and white writing if you know what I mean! I even called apple support but they were a bit cagey about it and no-one really knew ? Anyway I found myself here... Im going to replace the 320gb hd with a owc ssd anyways and thought about doing the above as a sort of bonus while I'm inside the mac mini . Also I discovered geforce have an 330m graphics chip ... so would it be possible to swop out the 320m also?
Sorry for long thread!

Cheers!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanospasm View Post
I know its an option 'in shop' to upgrade so therefore I'm guessing that the chip is NOT soldered to the logic board.

Also I discovered geforce have an 330m graphics chip ... so would it be possible to swop out the 320m also?
The cpu on your Mac-mini is definitely soldered onto the logic board.

Yes...this Mac-Mini could haver been custom configured with a 2.66ghz cpu...but only BEFORE purchasing. And it's not like someone actually "swaps" out the 2.4ghz cpu for a 2.66...they simply send you a unit that's originally configured with a 2.66 rather than a 2.4.

Same thing for the 320m gpu. Soldered onto the logic board...and is not upgradeable.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
nanospasm

Well, thanks for peeing on my bonfire Nick ..... bah! o well ... Im still gonna swop out the hard drive for the owc ssd.
**** those soldered boards!
Many Thanks( I think )
Luke.
QUOTE Thanks
nanospasm

Hi all, I just purchased a g4 mac mini for the kids room so they could watch iplayer etc on it(which didn't work until I did a flash player hack). I got it for 90 gbp.it came with no super drive so i bought a used one to replace it. unfortunately it does not work well at all.. the whole thing just locks up and crashes ... I have removed it now but wondered why it won't work.
Many Thanks,
Luke.
QUOTE Thanks
nanospasm

oops i thought i started a new thread sorry moderator could you sort the above out?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
...so i bought a used one to replace it.
Since this is Superdrive is used...are you 100% sure that it works?

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
nanospasm

Hmmm good point they SAID it was all working etc but i guess theres no way to test it or is there? also is the a way to put a hard drive into the area where the superdrive has been removed... the slimline cd socket is different to pata and can't find any adaptors ...
Many Thanks<
Luke.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Hmmm good point they SAID it was all working etc but i guess theres no way to test it or is there?
It certainly wouldn't be the first time someone sold a used part that was supposed to work & didn't (or if the seller had multiple drives...maybe they gave you the wrong one).

Also...if you're:

- 100% certain this specific drive is supposed to work in your G4 Mac-Mini
- 100% sure it was installed correctly
- 100% sure the G4 Mac-Mini doesn't have an existing problem related to the operation of the Superdrive (bad cable, bent pin, loose connection, etc.)

...then this would seem to indicate that the drive is bad.

- Nick

p.s. How do you know that this "flash player hack" isn't causing a problem?

QUOTE Thanks
nanospasm

Well Im pretty sure its the right drive as I did a lot of cross referencing/research before I spent my 12. on it
but It could be wrong so not 100%.
I have built a few pcs myself and am pretty confident it was installed correctly.
The third point is also unknown but the superdrive socket is right above the pata socket on the same board which then slots onto the logic board and the hard drive works fine...
Many Thanks,
Luke.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

All those "100%" suggestions were just to be completely thorough to eliminate any errors on your part.

If everything checks out (installed correctly, correct drive, no existing Mac-Mini problems)...then the only thing left is that the drive is bad.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
nanospasm

O well Im not too bothered about the drive anyway it was only 12. after all . I can just use an external usb hard drive for films/music etc.
Many Thanks Nick!
Luke.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problem with verify and repair volumn 'LaCie' | Internal HD failing, using External HD as main drive(music production purposes) »