New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Need help with RAM configuration, I want to MAX it out

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RKC

RKC is on a distinguished road

I'm looking to maximize my computer's performance and want to make sure I have the most RAM possible, and the proper configuration.

I have a 27" iMac, 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 (of processors: 1, # of cores: 4). Running OS 10.6.8.

As for RAM, I have 4 slots, each with a 2 GB chip (DDR3, 1067 MHz). So 8 GB total.

What is the most RAM my computer can have? What size and type should I get? Can you recommend a manufacturer and reputable source to buy it?

My computer's performance has not been great. I regret not getting a tower. Anyway, if I open a Photoshop file that is larger than 1 GB, my computer slows to a crawl. Lots of latency. I also notice a drop in performance if I open too many browser windows... say 4 or 5 and I can barely do anything. Not sure what's going on but it seems wrong. Any other advice you may have on what might be wrong or how to boost my performance would be great.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

you could whack 4 x 4GB sticks in there, and get 16GB total.

you need 4GB PC8500 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM (204 pin if I remember correctly) for an iMac.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I would love to see a 1GB Photoshop file... it must be incredible.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
G-Mo

G-Mo is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: See signature

You machine (iMac 27-inch, Late 2009) will take a max of 16GB DDR3 1033MHz (PC3-8500) RAM.

Both Mushkin and Corsair do Apple Qualified RAM, and I've used both with good results. I've got 16GB (4x4GB) of Corsair in my father's iMac (27-inch same as yours, Late 2009, but i5), and 16GB of Mushkin in my 21.5-inch, Mid 2010 as well as 8GB of Mushkin in my MBP. I've also installed a LOT of NuImpact Apple RAM.

Apple Certified Macintosh Technician (ACMT)
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2011) 2.3GHz Core i5, 8GB RAM, Crucial M4 256GB SSD
MacBook Air (11-inch, Late 2010); iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2010)
iPad 2 16GB; iPhone 4S 16GB
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Location: Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
IWT is a jewel in the roughIWT is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Lion) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Mavericks)

I would perhaps just add that it is important to make sure your programmes are running in 64 bit mode.

As I understand it, 32 bit apps can only access 3.5GB of memory regardless what is installed.

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
G-Mo

G-Mo is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: See signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWT View Post
As I understand it, 32 bit apps can only access 3.5GB of memory regardless what is installed.
With Windows there is a 4GB total memory limit with 32-bit Windows. Mac OS is different. Even Macs running Leopard can contain and use far more RAM than the 4 GB limit the "32-bit" qualifier might seem to imply.

Apple Certified Macintosh Technician (ACMT)
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2011) 2.3GHz Core i5, 8GB RAM, Crucial M4 256GB SSD
MacBook Air (11-inch, Late 2010); iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2010)
iPad 2 16GB; iPhone 4S 16GB
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« PowerMac G5 Quad logicboard with broken pin -> front panel | Problem with verify and repair volumn 'LaCie' »