New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac 27 Booting Problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

IamaMac

IamaMac is on a distinguished road

Hi guys,

I have a 27 inch iMac circa late 2009 which seems to take a considerable time booting. Shutting down is actually quite fast but the initial starting up seems to feel slow, judging by the sound of the hardrive. Also when I first load Firefox, it takes about 30 seconds for the sound to stop, and then I feel the machine is fullly set.

Upon starting up it takes a good few minutes to fully lose the sound of what can only seem to be the hardrive booting up?

The problem is that I have at least 98 per cent of CPU idle at most times ,and less than 2gb of Ram Used over the 12gb installed. And about 40 per cent of disk space left.

So I attach for you guys a list of processes, perhaps someone can explain why the machine feels kinda slow when starting up and loading. After the initial moments of loading it's pretty much okay.

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The only thing I can notice is that quite a bit of virtual memory (swap to hard drive space) is being used although that's not very unusual.

It's possible your hard drive may be bogging down and might have some problems. Suggest running the S.M.A.R.T. program to see what it says. Download from here: LINK Note that it's a full functional demo which will run for 30 days. Let us know what it tells you. If everything checks OK, we can try something else.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« upgrading an iMac G5 Power PC | Questions about eMac G4 »