New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

How to manipulate video card settings on Mac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

adrir

adrir is on a distinguished road

Hello,

Forgive me if this is not the right spot for this question, but I have run into a confusing, frustrating issue and need some help from someone with a bit of advanced knowledge on this issue. Lately I have been suffering from terrible migraine symptoms as a result of hours at the computer at my job. I've been told from other migraine sufferers that adjusting the VIDEO CARD's (not the actual monitor's, which of course I've tried) brightness and color settings could help. I know how to get into the color profile area from system prefs but have absolutely no idea how to change them once I'm in there, and I can't seem to find any resources on this issue. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about this (or other settings I might look into)?

Many thanks,
adri
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The video chipset or GPU (video card) itself can not be adjusted. Any adjustments that are made are made to the monitor which is in turn controlled by the video card.

Generally, headaches are caused by an improper refresh rate, however, with today's modern LCD displays, the refresh rate is usually set at 60Hz. Older CRT monitor refresh rates could go much higher.

I have read that some folks who suffer from headaches while sitting in front of a computer monitor have been able to reduce the occurrence of headaches by wearing computer glasses. You might look into trying that. Good computer glasses are not those you pay $20 for at Office Depot, however. Be sure to consult your Optometrist or Ophthalmologist first before investing in computer glasses.
QUOTE Thanks
adrir

adrir is on a distinguished road

Thanks. I have tried computer glasses that haven't offered much help, but there are others out there that I'm considering.

Regarding changing the monitor settings, other than the physical brightness and resolution, do you know if is there anything else I can actually manipulate, i.e. through the ColorSync Utility?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Regarding changing the monitor settings, other than the physical brightness and resolution, do you know if is there anything else I can actually manipulate, i.e. through the ColorSync Utility?
Other than color calibration, no. There are several third party calibration tools available but they're really for the graphic artist or professional and again, are geared more toward color calibration. I'm not sure the refresh rate on Apple monitors can be changed. I believe that rate is fixed.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My mac mini (2011) is stuck on the loading screen? | Connecting older iMac to monitor »