New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

imac 20" crashing after hard disk replacement

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Spobber

Spobber is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac - OSX 10.5.5 + 13" Macbook - OSX 10.5.5

I have a 2008 20" imac running 10.7.3, I have 2GB of RAM, and I recently put a new 1TB hard disk in as the old one fried.

Since the replacement, the computer has started to freeze randomly. By freeze, I mean that everything stops working (the clock stops). I am able to move te cursor using the mouse. Sometimes the spinning wheel appears. I have to turn off the machine and start again - it often takes three or four goes to get it to start again. Sometimes it is fine for a week or two, sometimes it stops working after a few minutes. I cannot see any pattern to what is causing the freeze.

I have run disk repairs and it tells me that thee are no problems with the hard disk. I am worried that I didn't replace something properly, and tis may be causing the problem.

One other thing - when I do get the computer up and running and open a downloaded application, I sometimes get the message saying "this is an application downloaded . . . " as if I was using it for the first time.

Any help would be much appreciated.

R
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac 20" Rebuild Question | Optical Drive Replacement »