Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Apple Desktops (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-desktops/)
-   -   iMac wont start. Powersupply? (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-desktops/273207-imac-wont-start-powersupply.html)

cpromotions 04-23-2012 09:37 AM

iMac wont start. Powersupply?

Hello,

I have a problem with my iMac and I hope you guys can help me.
Its an 24 iMac Mid 2007* 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme (EMC No.: 2134 Model No.: A1225).
The iMac suddenly turned off as if sombody pulled out the powercable. If I press the power button nothing happens as if the machine gets no power at all.
So I opened the iMac and removed all the dirt and dust. I thought it might be the PSU but I cant see any optical defects.
When I pluged in the powercable the first Diagnostic-LED light up shortly and went off again. When i pull the cord and plug it in again nothing happens...
I checked the cable itself and tried another one to be sure its not teh cable.
Can I be sure that it is the PSU (because of the LEDs) or could it be the logicboard either?

Any Experiences?

Thanks for your help. And sorry for my poor english.

harryb2448 04-23-2012 06:09 PM

G'day and welcome to the forums.

Sure sounds like you have got the diagnosis spot on with the power supply. These are available pretty cheaply if you want to have a go at ot. The 'net has many sites showing how to do the job:-

http://www.macpartsonline.com/imac-p...?type_part=111

cpromotions 04-25-2012 06:33 AM

Thank you for the Link harryb2448.
I found these two should match my iMac:
iMac Aluminum 24-inch Parts Power Supplies A1225 24inch 2.8GHz 07
The first one looks exactly like the one that is built into my iMac but the website says that it is discontinued by apple? So should i better buy the second one? will that one fit in my iMac? Would be perfect if anyone could confirm this.

chscag 04-25-2012 11:48 AM

Quote:

The first one looks exactly like the one that is built into my iMac but the website says that it is discontinued by apple? So should i better buy the second one? will that one fit in my iMac? Would be perfect if anyone could confirm this.
It's discontinued by Apple because your model is likewise discontinued.... Buy the first one if it's the exact PS your iMac is using. I can't confirm it but make sure you can return the PS if it turns out to be wrong.

You might also look for the exact PS you need at Mac Repair - Mac Parts and Service for Apple Macbook, iPhone, iPad as they stock parts for older Macs.

cpromotions 04-26-2012 03:07 AM

Quote:

I can't confirm it but make sure you can return the PS if it turns out to be wrong.
I live in germany. So shipping is about 50 bugs :-( So I hope to get the right one.

How about the different input Voltage 110V USA and 230V Germany do those power supplies work with both?

harryb2448 04-26-2012 06:50 PM

If you get the correct Power Supply do not think it will be a problem as it will have what is known as Auto Switching capabilities:-

Apple Power Supplies: Changing voltage settings

cpromotions 04-27-2012 02:32 AM

Perfect! Thank you!

cpromotions 01-15-2013 04:32 AM

Problem with new powersupply

Hello,

thank you for your answers, and sorry for the very long delay. I never thought it would be that hard to get one of those PSUs in germany. How ever I finally managed to get one.
After I replaced he the old one my iMac started up without any Problems. I had it running for a few hours for doing all the updates with no problems. But after I moved it from my workbench to my home office. It begins to boot and after 20-30 seconds it turns off. I can't turn it on again pressing the power button doesn't have any effect. When I wait a couple of minutes and unplug it from the power network I can start it again, but only for about 20-30 seconds and then the machine turns itself off again.

Does anyone have an idea what this could be? Thanks for your help.