New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

2008 iMac 20" crashing

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

talleyrand

talleyrand is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 3 Ghz i3 iMac, Macbook Pro, Old G5, iPhone, iPad, and a drawer of iPods

2008 iMac 20" that is now the kids computer crashes after 20-30 minutes of use. While playing flash games on Facebook. I updated all software, deleted all the odd stuff installed on it, and repaired permissions. Reboot, surfed the web, crashed at 32 minute mark. Fan noise abnormally loud.
Thought it was hardware. Then it got wierd
Booted into Windows XP and played Civ V for 4 hours. No problem.
Turned it off, next day booted into OS X, surfed for 37 minutes- crashed
Rebooted into XP and played Op Art War for 4 hours. No problem.
Got to be software
?????
Apple care expired over a year ago.
QUOTE Thanks
talleyrand

Mac Specs: 3 Ghz i3 iMac, Macbook Pro, Old G5, iPhone, iPad, and a drawer of iPods

No ideas?

Since then, on Thursday I reset the SMC(?), and performed a Disk Repair from the boot disk. Disk repair found several fatal errors on the disk and repaired them.

I rebooted the computer and it ran well for about 30 minutes then I got a dialog box on the screen that says "This computer needs rebooted" in several languages and the computer was locked up. It does this now every time instead of just crashing.

It still runs fine in Windows XP though. bizarre.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I would say the hard drive is suspect. Even though Disk Utility repaired several fatal errors, there could be more. My advice is to backup what you can from both OS X and Windows XP and be prepared to change out that hard drive.

The crashes you're receiving are known as kernel panics which usually indicate a hardware error.
QUOTE Thanks
talleyrand

thats what I was fearing. I looked at a couple youtube tutorials about taking this Mac apart, and it looks far from easy. I'm gonna break the screen.
the local repair center wants $300 or more to swap a drive, $80 just to look at it. Don't know if its worth it.
It's just weird that in Windows it seems to function normally. Thats why I was hoping there was some bizarre thing happening. The DUKROM or SMERSH controller needed reset or something.
Theres no data to back up, its the kids computer. Was thinking about trying a clean install, but if it hangs during an install im screwed
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Removing the display from an iMac is certainly not a simple process, however, with the right tools and instructions, you can do it yourself. The ifixit web site sells the glass suckers and proper torx drivers that are needed. They also provide the best step by step that I know of.

Give it a shot. iFixit: The free repair manual
QUOTE Thanks
rabbitjetta

rabbitjetta is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Retina Pro, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPod touch 3-5, iMac 27

I had the same issue with my imac and it is an easy fix if you use the guides on ifixit. i got it done in about an hour.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« used eMac won't turn on at all | eMac wireless connection mystery »