New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

The Wireless Aluminum Keyboard

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MultiMoon

MultiMoon is on a distinguished road

I have a older iMac, and in the next month or so I'm going to buy a new one. I looked in stores to get a feel of the new hardware, one thing troubles me. The Aluminum keyboard is great, it's sleek, responsive, and just feels overall good. All of these are the pros, the cons are big hits for me; Missing a num-pad, and it's simply way to small for my hands. So Does anyone have a alternative that still contains the mac keyset so I don't have to stare at a ugly windows logo.

I would prefer a larger keyboard, at least 18in min. I like the sleek, nice design of the Apple keyboard, It needs to have a numberpad, Wired/wireless is not a important matter, but I prefer a wireless that works NICELY with the iMac.

Please do tell me if anyone knows of a keyboard that fits this description.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

There are simply DOZENS of third-party keyboards for the Mac that include the number pad if you want.

BTW I'm writing this to you using the bt apple keyboard you mentioned. My hands are huge. Unless you're the guy who played Chewbacca in Star Wars, I assure you this keyboard is just as full-size as any other except for the "missing" num pad.

I too thought I "needed" a num pad when I got this. You know what? I didn't. Most non-accountant/bookkeepers probably don't as much as they think they do either.

Still, there are a) third-party add-on num pads that can attach to the Apple keyboard, or as I say you can just buy a Mac-friendly third-party keyboard (wired or wireless) with a number pad. Your choice.
QUOTE Thanks
cptkrf

cptkrf is a jewel in the roughcptkrf is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 2013, MacMini,2013, Intel Core i7, 16gb, 27" Thunderbolt display (Highly recommended!)

I use this one for my desktop...

http://matias.ca/tactilepro/

It's a high quality clicker, which I prefer.

But I use the aluminum wireless on my Mini because I can walk around and control the entertainment center with it. Works great, but I can't speed type on it to any extent due to a lifetime of using long keystroke keyboards.

IMO, the best keyboard ever was the IBM 122 key clicker. Heavy, big keys, full numberpad, built like a battleship with a lifespan measured in centuries, works on everything from DOS to Windoze to Lion. Only drawback is missing a couple of OSX specific keys. I still use it for heads down text entry.

Lots of options out there for you.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

The Apple Full Sized Wired USB keyboard is 17+ Inches long. I do not find the keys besides the travel any different than any other keyboard and I can literally fly on it. Took a couple of days to get used to it and after that, it's my favorite.
QUOTE Thanks
Krzykat

Krzykat is on a distinguished road

After a while you don't even notice that the number keypad is missing, though at work, I do use the number pad quite often, but at home, mainly just use numbers when doing my banking. Miss the backspace key more than the number keypad, actually.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiMoon View Post
I have a older iMac, and in the next month or so I'm going to buy a new one. I looked in stores to get a feel of the new hardware, one thing troubles me. The Aluminum keyboard is great, it's sleek, responsive, and just feels overall good. All of these are the pros, the cons are big hits for me; Missing a num-pad...
Here's the "older" wired version of the aluminum keyboard (with number pad):

Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Questions about eMac G4 | mac mini wont boot-help! »