New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

External HD periodically closing

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cheesehead fred

cheesehead fred is on a distinguished road

I'm running OSX 10.7.3 Lion on 27in Cinema Display with 8 GB of memory, Processor 3.1 GH Intel Core i5.

Already have a WD 2 TB HD that I use for Time Machine Backups. Attached another WD 3 TB HD for archiving Home movies. Periodically, it shuts down (sometimes a few minutes, sometimes 15 or so) and a screen alert comes on: "! The disk was not ejected properly. If possible, always eject a disk before unplugging it or turning it off. (Then in less bold type) To eject a disk, select it in the Finder and choose File > Eject. The next time you connect the disk, Mac OS X will attempt to repair any damage to the information on the disk." Of course, I didn't do any of those things.

Sometimes, within seconds or a few minutes, the HD icon will appear back on my desktop as if nothing happened.

I previously had a 2 TB HD that preceded my current one, and thinking that it was a bad HD, I replaced it with a new WD 3 TB HD. Same results.

What gives?
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Most likely this has to do with the Energy Saver preferences. Try unchecking the option to Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible and see if that solves it.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
cheesehead fred

cheesehead fred is on a distinguished road

Ok. Changed System Preferences to "Never Sleep" for Hard drive

I do have MacKeeper. How do I uninstall it?
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead fred View Post
I do have MacKeeper. How do I uninstall it?
Via the instructions I linked to in my signature.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

This could also be a symptom of the WD drive dropping off of the bus. Check the following and see if any/all of these solve the problem:

1. Check the data (usb/firewire) cable coming to the drive. a faulty cable can cause this problem.
2. If this drive is USB-based make sure it has its own power cord and isn't relying entirely on the bus for power.
3. If #2 isn't an option or the drive is using two USB ports for power try plugging it into a hub that has its own electrical power.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac Display quality | AHT begins to load, ejects disc, crashes. »