New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Bluetooth Keyboard/Mouse issue 27" iMac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Braven

Braven is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: (27" iMac i5) (2011 15" MacBook Pro)

I lose connection sporadically on my 2010 27" iMac. Some days it doesn't happen, some days it happens 4 or 5 times. I've talked to Apple several times about this. They've had me do all kinds of trouble shooting on my end. Finally they recommended I bring it to the Genius Bar. So last week I made the two hour round trip. Luckily it acted up in front of the Genius. He screwed around with diagnostic programs and settings and he determined that the Bluetooth module needs replaced. Unfortunately the part wasn't in stock so the repair took a couple of days. The cherry on top? After bringing it home. The "Genius" who did the Bluetooth module swap didn't reconnect the Wifi antennas. So it required another 2 hour round trip. Nice.

I am still having the exact same issue. I have another two years left on my Apple Care. (Thank God I bought it). I know with their smaller devices they'll replace rather than repair if still under warranty. Has anyone heard of them doing this with their computers?

Any advice/suggestions/war stories would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and my wife who scoffed at replacing our cheap trouble ridden PC with the expensive "It just works" Mac is getting way too much enjoyment out of this.

 iMac 27" 2.7Ghz i5
 MacBook Pro 15" 2Ghz i7
 iPhone 4 16GB
 iPad (White, 32GB, 3rd Gen)
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Oh and my wife who scoffed at replacing our cheap trouble ridden PC with the expensive "It just works" Mac is getting way too much enjoyment out of this.
LOL. What would we do without our wives..... Been there, done that.

Keep at it. It's certainly not unheard of for Apple to replace the machine with a new one off the shelf. Of course they may decide to just repair it again. However, if I were you, I would mention to the store manager (politely) how inconvenient it is to have to make the two hour trip, and then be without your machine for several days. Also mention about the WiFi antennas not being hooked up.

And yes, thank goodness for Apple Care! Let us know how it turns out.
QUOTE Thanks
Braven

chscag,

I spent about an hour on the phone with Apple yesterday. I'll be taking it back to the Genius Bar sometime this week. Supposedly I'm supposed to receive the "White glove" service when I get there. One of my complaints was that there's a disconnect between the phone support personnel and the store tech people. I think it should be transparent. Supposedly he called the store and spoke to the Genius Bar manager and they're going to take care of me. We'll see.

 iMac 27" 2.7Ghz i5
 iPhone 4 16GB
QUOTE Thanks
Steve Austin

Steve Austin will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mid 2010 27" 2.93GHz Intel Quad Core i7 iMac 12Gb Ram OS X 10.8.5

Quote:
they're going to take care of me.
Sounds ominous!

Steve Austin.
A man barely alive.
Gentlemen, we can rebuild him.
We have the technology.
QUOTE Thanks
Braven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Austin View Post
Sounds ominous!

Now that you say that, it does sound rather ominous.

 iMac 27" 2.7Ghz i5
 iPhone 4 16GB
QUOTE Thanks
Braven

The Apple store contacted me today to let me know the repair was complete (again). When I got there I asked the Genius to fire up my computer and show me everything's OK. He ran the diagnostic program and the Bluetooth was still jacked up. Loooong story short, they agreed to replace my 3.2Ghz i3 with a new 2.7Ghz i5. So that answers my question. Apple will indeed replace a messed up iMac under warranty. I am now a happy camper.

 iMac 27" 2.7Ghz i5
 iPhone 4 16GB
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Great! That's why Apple consistently has the best customer service. Let us know how you're doing with your brand new iMac.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Keyboard cap lock | Airport »