New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro 1.1 cpu upgrade

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

langdone

langdone is on a distinguished road

I have a 2006 MP 1.1 with two dual xeon 2.66 (5150) I have been told that because I have the first logic board (not ending in x7q) that I can't go to 8 cores because the LB won't support them. Is there much for me to gain by going to dual 5355 s, or would my processing speed be about the same ? Thx
QUOTE Thanks
Brunhild

Brunhild has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP 2.26 8GB RAM 500GBhdd, iPhone 4, and iPad

2006 mac pro CPU upgrade: where can i get... - MacRumors Forums

this guy didnt seem to have a problem in 2009. Id do some more searching and reading if I was you but seems like you should be fine.

my beer blog, BEERUKEN! www.beeruken.com
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Never heard that one before about the logic board. Best priced Quad Core update seems to be the Intel X5355 which run about the $100 mark each. It may be wise to hang off for a while as it is anticipated the next OS release, Mountain Lion, will run on 64bit machines only. Mac Pro 1.1 and 2.1 models are 64bit architecture, but have 32bit EFI Firmware and it is believed these machine will be excluded from further operating system upgrades.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MATCHED-PAIR...#ht_872wt_1165

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
langdone

langdone is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info. Apparently MP 1.1 was first equipped with a logic board for which no 8 core upgrade was ever available. The second and most common board was upgradeable. I have the first version unfortunately. This is why my source thought going to 8 on my machine would be unsuccessful. The serial for the board that supports 8 ends in x7q , mine does not. If this is groundless I'd be happy to hear it. Thanks again for your help,
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac 2011 Hard Drive click after sleep, restart, or shut down | Changing output res blind »