New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

LC III: Erase Hard Drive?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Marrk

Marrk is on a distinguished road

I have an old LC III that I haven't had out of the box in 20 years. I am trying to erase the hard drive so that I can give the unit away, but I don't know how to do this. I thought I could work from the Disk Tools floppy, but it keeps telling me that it is "write protected" and won't let me do anything.

Help!

MacBook Pro 13.3" 2.66 GHz OS 10.9.3
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

You should have an operating system disc such as OS 7, 7.0.1 or 7.1. Insert floppy 1 and see if there is a format procedure on that.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Marrk

No operating system disks. Just Installation disks. I have the option to Install the system software, but I haven't gone ahead with that yet for fear that I might leave the thing in a worse condition.

If I start the install, will it give me the option of a "clean install" or hard drive erase?

QUOTE Thanks
Marrk

I tried starting an install process and it didn't give me an option for a clean install.

Is it even possible to erase these hard drives?

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrk View Post
No operating system disks. Just Installation disks.
Same thing...just different terminology. If the floppy disks you have are "Apple System Software"...then those are "Operating System Disks".

Quote:
I tried starting an install process and it didn't give me an option for a clean install.

Is it even possible to erase these hard drives?
Of course the hard drive in an LCIII are erasable...all hard drives are erasable regardless of age (assuming they're in operating condition).

To erase the hard drive...you need to "boot" the computer from the floppy disk labeled "System Tools" (or something like that). Then launch a program called Disk Utility or Disk Tools...and erase the HD.

Then you need to "reboot" the computer from what's probably "Install Disk #1" or "System Software #1" (or something like that)...to install the operating system.

Remember...we're talking about a 20+ year-old computer & software...so different terminology may be used than what we're used to today using our Macintosh/Apple devices.

Also realize that those OLD System Software install floppies may or may not even work. Floppy disk media is not the most stable...and over the course of 20+ years...they may not work so well. One error...and the whole system software install may be impossible. So keep your fingers crossed!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Marrk

Nick, I don't have a System Tools disk. All I have are Installation Disks, Disk Tools, Printing disk, Install Me First Disk, and Fonts disk.

There doesn't appear to be any option for rebooting from anything other than the hard drive. This thing doesn't even have a Preferences.

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Nick, I don't have a System Tools disk. All I have are Installation Disks, Disk Tools, Printing disk, Install Me First Disk, and Fonts disk.
Firstly...you need to be more flexible with the terminology. "System Tools" & "Disk Tools" are the same thing (Disk Tools are System Tools). We're talking about 20+ year-old terminology...so my memory is a bit "fuzzy".

If the "Disk Tools" disk is not "bootable"...then you need to:

- "boot" the computer from the whatever disk you have that is bootable
- then eject that disk
- insert the "Disk Tools" disk
- launch the "Disk Tools" application (or whatever it's called) to erase the HD

If the "Disk Tools' disk is bootable...then things are easy...and you just need to launch the "Disk Tools" application to erase the HD.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

By the way. I know that you mentioned that you want to give this LCIII away.

Depending on what this entails (giving it to a church, a relative, e-Bay, or Craig's List, etc.)...be aware...your LC III is worth about $10-$15 bucks...so if this is turning into a BIG headache on your end...please keep things in perspective.

Most folks don't even have software that will run on this computer...and you cannot get on the internet with it. So it really has VERY LIMITED uses.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Marrk

As above, how do I boot from a disk? There is no pull-down menu for that, no Preferences, nothing in the Start Up folder on the HD. Is it possible that, in order to boot from a disk on this system, you have to ReStart while holding down a key?

QUOTE Thanks
Marrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
By the way. I know that you mentioned that you want to give this LCIII away.

Depending on what this entails (giving it to a church, a relative, e-Bay, or Craig's List, etc.)...be aware...your LC III is worth about $10-$15 bucks...so if this is turning into a BIG headache on your end...please keep things in perspective.

Most folks don't even have software that will run on this computer...and you cannot get on the internet with it. So it really has VERY LIMITED uses.

- Nick

In view of that, it will probably get the sledge hammer, and then into the trash.

QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
In view of that, it will probably get the sledge hammer, and then into the trash.

For $10 to $15 of instant stress relief . . . What I would call an ideal soloution.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
As above, how do I boot from a disk? There is no pull-down menu for that, no Preferences, nothing in the Start Up folder on the HD. Is it possible that, in order to boot from a disk on this system, you have to ReStart while holding down a key?
Ok...so it sounds like you are currently able to boot the computer from it's internal HD.

What you need to do is:

- boot the computer from the internal HD
- insert the "bootable" floppy disk you want to boot from
- go to the "Apple" drop-down menu
- open the control panel called "Startup disk" (or something like that)
- IF the floppy disk you inserted is "bootable"...then you should be able to choose between the LCIII's internal HD & the floppy disk to boot from.
- So click on the floppy disk icon...and then restart the computer.

If the floppy disk DOES NOT show up in the Startup Disk control panel window...then the floppy disk that was inserted is not a "bootable disk".

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

I still vote for the sledgehammer, preferably with a link to a YouTube video.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Well...I hate to see it get the sledge-hammer....just wanted you to be able to judge how much effort to put into a $10-$15 twenty+ year-old computer (and that's if you can find someone interested in it).

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

An old Mac will boot automatically from any floppy disk that is in the drive at startup. So, to boot from a floppy, with the Mac off:
1. Stick the floppy partway into the drive
2. Reach around and flip the switch on the back, and immediately
3. Push the floppy the rest of the way into the drive.

If it spits the floppy back out again, it's not bootable.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Thunderbolt Question | My mac mini (2011) is stuck on the loading screen? »