New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

LC III: Erase Hard Drive?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Now after all this you turn it into a thrift store and cause it want boot its going in the dumper.
QUOTE Thanks
Marrk

Marrk is on a distinguished road

I just came back from the Apple store. They told me that my PowerBook G4 was crashing because the CPU could no longer keep up with current internet blah-blah-blah. And Apple no longer services anything that is more than five years old. So, the Goodwill is going to get a nice looking PB G4, after my 35-hour erase of the hard drive is complete.

MacBook Pro 13.3" 2.66 GHz OS 10.9.3
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrk View Post
I just came back from the Apple store. They told me that my PowerBook G4 was crashing because the CPU could no longer keep up with current internet blah-blah-blah. And Apple no longer services anything that is more than five years old. So, the Goodwill is going to get a nice looking PB G4, after my 35-hour erase of the hard drive is complete.
Why not sell it on e-Bay or Craig's List?

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Marrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Why not sell it on e-Bay or Craig's List?

- Nick

Because I am under the impression that it is of little value. The Genius Bar guys say that they have no parts for it, and even if they did, it would not work effectively on, for example, the internet.

What could I get for it on Craig's List, Nick?

QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Quote:
Because I am under the impression that it is of little value. The Genius Bar guys say that they have no parts for it, and even if they did, it would not work effectively on, for example, the internet.
Bah. My sister still uses a G4 Powerbook for pretty much just surfing the internet. Works just fine, unless they try to run the latest flash power crap. Then it just bogs down.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
Marrk

Stretch, I was getting kernel panics, lock ups, crashes, and logged out of accounts, in addition to glacial processing speeds. The Geniuses said the hard drive was good and the memory was good, but the CPU is "worn out like an old car engine." Something like that. In any case, I wasn't able to make the thing work. I am just happy that my 35-hour erase seems to be going smoothly.

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:

What could I get for it on Craig's List, Nick?
This thread originally was about an old LC III & now your talking about an old Powerbook G4. The LC III has very little value (working or not).

A Powerbook G4 (working or not) has more value than an LC III. A working computers value is easier to estimate than a non-working computer. But even not working...a Powerbook G4 is worth more than an LC III. Just put it on e-Bay...explain/describe the situation...and see what you get.

As far as the Apple Genius comment about the cpu being old & worn out...I never heard of such a thing! Electronics don't "wear-out" like car engines. Maybe there is something worn out in this Powerbook G4...it's not the cpu.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Thunderbolt Question | My mac mini (2011) is stuck on the loading screen? »