New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

MacPro seems to be dead?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Shanez

Shanez is on a distinguished road

Hi guys,

My Mac Pro just switched off, and its not coming back on, its dead! After googling it people say it could be the logic board, but how do i know for sure? Could it be something simple like the power unit ect?
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

How old is the Mac Pro? Have you had this issue before? What happens (blinks, sounds) when you press the power button? Open the side cover and look inside when pressing the power button to see if you see any lights or hear the hard drives spinning..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
Shanez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
How old is the Mac Pro? Have you had this issue before? What happens (blinks, sounds) when you press the power button? Open the side cover and look inside when pressing the power button to see if you see any lights or hear the hard drives spinning..
Thanks for the reply, its about 6 years old, i got a second hdd installed before, worked fine but then the mac would not start up (flashing question mark) seems to be a common enough issue but that was resolved, the hdd was not installed correctly.

This time the mac is completely dead, no noise, no lights nothing, it was left idle for over a year but the last 6 weeks i have been using it solid most days, and i did notice it was a bit nosier than usual, kind of a humming noise but i did not think much of it?
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

If you don't see any indication of it powering up, it could possible be the power supply or the logic board as you originally surmised. I wonder if you can scour eBay or other places for a replacement power supply which would probably be cheaper than a logic board..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
Shanez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
Are Mac Pro power supplies the same or will i need a specific one for my mac pro model?

My machine, Mac Pro 2.8 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 3gb Ram
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

It's best to try to get a power supply that matches the part number/make of your existing power supply so open the case and take a look at the power supply and report back the make (Delta Electronics or otherwise) and the Apple Part Number..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

QUOTE Thanks
Shanez

Now after i disconnected all cables everything, and reconnected everything and pressed power button for 5 seconds i looked back at the machine and noticed the led on monitor is on, and i can hear some very low noise at the back of the tower, where the fan is but the tower is still not responsive, it wont turn on... hmm?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Looks like a power supply. The Mac Pro 3.1 is still a viable machine. Take it to your local Apple dealer and get a quote. Power supply should run about $300-400.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« programs waking an iMac from sleep mode | iMac 24' (2006) white screen after Apple/rotating circle »