New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Not too pleased with new iMac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JunMacTech

Hey all,
Recently our campus has made a big push towards Macintosh. Everything has been going fine until the new updated iMacs with iSight. I seem to have issues with each one out of the box. 3 have been RMA'd due to the fact that they could not boot from cd.

The problem that I am having now is most annoying. When I first pulled this 17" iMac out of the box, it would not boot. It would freeze at the grey screen before the Apple logo appears and then the fans would run full tilt. I tried booting from dvd, after about 20 mins it would finially boot to the drive. When I would boot holding option, no drives would appear in open firmware. I booted to cd once more and opened disk utility. No HDD. I decided that I would finially have to call Apple. I restarted the computer and WHAM! It just started working for some reason. I ran all available updates and performed a permissions repair. This is what it came up with:

Repairing permissions for Macintosh HD
Determining correct file permissions.
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/Dictionary.js. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/Dictionary.widgetplugin/Contents/Info.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/Dictionary.widgetplugin/Contents/MacOS/Dictionary. New permissions are 33261
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/Dictionary.widgetplugin/Contents/version.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/Info.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/version.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/FlightTracker.js. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/FlightTrackerComboBoxPlugin.plugin/Contents/Info.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/FlightTrackerComboBoxPlugin.plugin/Contents/MacOS/FlightTrackerComboBoxPlugin. New permissions are 33261
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/FlightTrackerComboBoxPlugin.plugin/Contents/version.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/Info.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/parser.js. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/version.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Stickies.wdgt/Info.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Stickies.wdgt/Stickies.js. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Stickies.wdgt/version.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Unit Converter.wdgt/Info.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Unit Converter.wdgt/UnitConverter.js. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Unit Converter.wdgt/parser.js. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Unit Converter.wdgt/version.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets. New permissions are 16877
We are using a special gid for the file or directory ./System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/MacOS/Dock. New gid is 0
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/MacOS/Dock. New permissions are 33261
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./usr/lib/php/build/Makefile.global. New permissions are 33060
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./usr/lib/php/build/acinclude.m4. New permissions are 33060
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./usr/lib/php/build/mkdep.awk. New permissions are 33060
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./usr/lib/php/build/phpize.m4. New permissions are 33060
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./usr/lib/php/build/scan_makefile_in.awk. New permissions are 33060

Permissions repair complete
The privileges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume

No matter how many times I run repair permissions I get all of these. I have zapped everything, I have run apple hardware tests - clean, verified startup disk - clean. Occasionally I have the spinning colorwheel of death, when I cmd-opt-esc it shows me that the finder is not responding.

So here is my main question. Do I waste my time trying to reinstall the operating system, in hopes that it will fix it, or do I call apple and get support? Either way I am a bit aggrovated that we have had so many problems out-of-box. It seems to only be the new iMacs also.

Anyone else having problems with them?

Thanks,
Matt
QUOTE Thanks
iNAP

iNAP has a spectacular aura about

It is just telling you things are repaired or updated I see nothing in red font. What your seeing is a good thing So I'm told , I thought that way till talking with Apple

www.idadgraphics.com
I started using PS from finding this forum and all the help I have gotten here thru the years is immeasurable
thank you MacForums and all it's members
QUOTE Thanks
JunMacTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNAP
It is just telling you things are repaired or updated I see nothing in red font. What your seeing is a good thing So I'm told , I thought that way till talking with Apple
But why would it need fixed over and over and over and over again. I get that same report EVERY time I do a permissions repair. Even if I do one right after another.
QUOTE Thanks
iNAP

Looking back at your list it looks to me as though you have duplicate widgets I'm not sure but it looks like that

www.idadgraphics.com
I started using PS from finding this forum and all the help I have gotten here thru the years is immeasurable
QUOTE Thanks
iNAP

I think once repaired it just stays that way because your OS is separate from updates or repairs.....

www.idadgraphics.com
QUOTE Thanks
JunMacTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNAP
I think once repaired it just stays that way because your OS is separate from updates or repairs.....
K, Ill take your word for it. :biohazard
QUOTE Thanks
Acill

Acill is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Powermac G5/Powerbook G4/Pegasos 2

Those special permissions reports are normal. It just means they are not standard and your system is telling you what they are. Nothing is wrong with the report you posted at all as far as i can tell.

http://www.acill.com

Powermac G5 Dual 2.5GHZ
Powerbook G4 1.67GHZ
Pegasos G4 1.0GHZ
QUOTE Thanks
JunMacTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acill
Those special permissions reports are normal. It just means they are not standard and your system is telling you what they are. Nothing is wrong with the report you posted at all as far as i can tell.
Ok, Now it won't boot again. It freezes at the Grey Apple Screen and the fans run full blast. Is it time to call apple, or is this a common problem that there has been a solution for?

Thanks,
Matt
QUOTE Thanks
sevenhelmet

sevenhelmet is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminum Macbook 2.4Ghz; Powermac G5 2.3Ghz dual

I'd call Apple... could be a hardware issue- I know they released a batch with some flaky capacitors on the logic board a while back.

"Luck favors the prepared"
QUOTE Thanks
JunMacTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenhelmet
I'd call Apple... could be a hardware issue- I know they released a batch with some flaky capacitors on the logic board a while back.
Ok, this makes me a little nervous. The first two iSight iMacs that we have ordered have had to go back. I have another batch of 9 that just came in. Ill have to open each one up just to see if they work. Well I guess at least Apple is giving me Overtime.
QUOTE Thanks
sevenhelmet

sevenhelmet is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminum Macbook 2.4Ghz; Powermac G5 2.3Ghz dual

If you have any more troubles, I'd strongly suggest calling Apple. It is a rare thing for even one of their computers to be DOA, let alone TWO of them!

"Luck favors the prepared"
QUOTE Thanks
JunMacTech

Well, ran another Disk Verify, came up with illegal name. Did a repair, it is running for now. I'm going to give it a few more days while I check these others.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Matt
QUOTE Thanks
lil

When you boot the Macs, hold down command + s to enter single user mode.

then from the prompt run:

fsck -fy

That does a more rigorous check than Disk Utility can - keep running it until the errors are cleared. You can then boot into the GUI with 'exit' (minus the quotes) and enter at the prompt.

Vicky
QUOTE Thanks
JunMacTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil
When you boot the Macs, hold down command + s to enter single user mode.

then from the prompt run:

fsck -fy

That does a more rigorous check than Disk Utility can - keep running it until the errors are cleared. You can then boot into the GUI with 'exit' (minus the quotes) and enter at the prompt.

Vicky
Ya know, I tried to boot to single user mode. It went into darwin, showed me everything it was doing to boot, then went into the normal login. I couldnt get a prompt to save my life. On a good note, I just went through 5 of the 9 new ones and they are all working as expected: beautifully.
QUOTE Thanks
JunMacTech

Ok just got another that wont boot. It's a 20" iMac. Tried booting to single user.
It locked up with the fans on full tilt after:

BSD root: disk0s3, major 14, minor 2
AppleSMU -- shutdown cause = 3
AppleSMU:MU vers = 0x000d0092, SPU vers = 0x56, SDB vers = 0x01,
CSRHIDTransitionDriver::stop
[HCIController][start]
[AppleUSBHCIController][StopIsochPipeRead] - mInt1IsochInPipe = 0 - numReadsPending = 0
[start] 1
disk0s3: I/O error.

And that's it, wont get past that
That one is going in the "Toked Pile"
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« PowerMac G5 Dual Core Wireless Cards | Oldest Imac worth buying (used)? »