New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

What is the allowable fan speeds in rpm?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Hwilensky

Hwilensky is on a distinguished road

Hey all,

Another quick question. Using Istat nano, what is the typical fan speed for the three fans?
Since I got my 2011 iMac 21.5. My speeds are as follows:

optical 1398rpm
Hard drive 1100rpm
Cpu Fan 1200 rpm

I only have safari running, is this normal? If not what is normal?

Thanks,
Hwilensky
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

The fans will vary in speed based on a lot of things like ambient temperature, internal component temps and load and so on..

So don't just look at the fan speed, look at the temps first..

Right now, my 27" iMac is showing:
CPU - 37 degC
HD - 37 degC
Ambient - 17 degC
Optical - 29 degC

Fan speeds:
Optical - 999 rpm
Hard Drive - 1142 rpm
CPU - 940 rpm

I have a few apps up and my system has been running for 20 days now..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
Hwilensky

Thanks for the help. Here is my temps. And it has been running for 2 days, should I be worried?

Thanks,
Hwilensky
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2012-04-15 at 11.55.33 AM.png (31.4 KB, 26 views)
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - OS X 10.10.1

If these temps are in Celcius then you have nothing to worry about.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
Hwilensky

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBie View Post
If these temps are in Celcius then you have nothing to worry about.

Cheers ... McBie
I am assuming they are. If those are the temps, then I do not need to worry about my fan's rpm being so high?
QUOTE Thanks
Hwilensky

Here they are in Fahrenheit.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2012-04-15 at 2.36.59 PM.png (30.4 KB, 23 views)
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

I use iStat Menus 3 (licensed, not freeware) so my temperatures are measured a bit differently than yours. However, for my iMac 2011 21.5" machine the fan speeds are as follows:

CPU = 1200 rpm

HD = 1098 rpm

OPT = 998 rpm

They pretty much stay that way from day to day. I don't leave my machine on all the time because of the severe weather we get here in Texas but after an 8 hour run the speeds are what I reported above.

Just make sure that the intake vents at the bottom of your display housing are free and clear. The same goes for the exhaust vent at the top of the display.
QUOTE Thanks
Hwilensky

So I have nothing to worry about then. My fan speeds are ok?
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Yes. You're fine.

QUOTE Thanks
Hwilensky

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Yes. You're fine.
Thanks. I was just curious because in Razors example, my rpm's where higher then his, yet my temps were lower. Thanks baggss.

Hwilensky
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac 17 intel | Mac vs Pc for graphics »